Wind reading way low since battery replacement

Not just a bit…sitting here with a davis nearby with averages off by almost 10 knots. Will try another restart with batteries out.

Chuck, please add the link to your station in your profile, makes it easy for us to have a look.

Also, when taking out the batteries,

• check the voltage (never know there is a nasty one, 1.8V usually)
  • Be sure to insert them correctly
  • while at it, also clean the sky with a soft textile so the 4 sensors are clean and the opposite side to.

nope, Davis reading a clean 18 kt average and I am getting about 6kts. Something is awry.

Brand new energizer liths.

Davis within a couple hundred meters
http://brockdevelopment.ca/Kite%20conditions%20currentNW.htm

Unit is clean, batteries fresh

I forget, does the Sky need to do an initial sensor calibration again when the batteries are removed???

1 Like

Wind is not a simple thing to compare, I have 2 sky units 50 cm apart and they never ever give the same … just to say minor things can change values;

Regarding the Davis station a few hundred meters further … is it at the same hight as your sky ? What are the obstacles nearby ? Have both units the same kind of soil underneath ??? All these little details can alter wind readings

I refer to an article from WF support

@vreihen : I do think yes, not sure how long it takes but it needs wind from 4 sides for some time to complete the cycle (if I remember well)

1 Like

Guys. I have had this unit for the entire summer. It worked great. It is in clean unobstructed location on a shoreline. The wind is cranking here, whitecaps everywhere…it is at least 12 to 20 knots. I am a lifetime water wind sports person. It is not reading correctly by about 5 to 8 knots. it is on a mast about 15 feet above ground. Clean fetch. Davis reads what my eyes see.

weather flow site called “sunset point” is a few km down shore…also shows what my eyes see.

another indicator is that flags near location are constantly stiff…yet I am reading 1 kt lulls. Not possible.

1 Like

It’s cranking steady 20 kts now. Showing half that.

Ok, was gale force wind all night. Data was clearly wrong. I tried toggling to power save mode on sky and then back to normal mode. Instant correct readings! Look at the data zoomed in. Then it fell back to incorrect. I put it back to power save mode and good data again shown in the data. What is going on here?

Put it back to normal mode and it was good for about 5 mins then back to bogus data. All clearly seen in the charts.

I see it is constantly showing rain, is it ?

If so combined with wind, could the sensors be constantly splashed by water ???

@anon84912554 : can you please have a look at raw data. Is there something HW wise gong wrong ??

1 Like

No, it’s shards of a flag down the pole that causes that. Has always done that. I have a friend down the bay. I think his sky is doing same low wind reading. He will try what I did later today.

Net of it is that it will read correctly for a short time on normal mode and sustained correct in power save mode. For reference I started messing with the power settings at about 7:48 am EST this morning…story is in the data.

OK, my buddy down the bay was having similar concerns with readings. At 9:57am EST he changed to power save mode and bingo!!..same issue and now reading correct speeds.

There is clearly a firmware issue at play.

Here is my plot when going back and forth between normal and power save mode.
Here is my friend’s when he toggled to power save this morning. These are both now correct given current conditions here.

wind%20plot wing%20plot%20Tom

Since changing batteries last week I had noted suspiciously low wind readings given conditions at the time. It was confirmed this weekend as we have had constant gale force winds with other instruments in the area reading almost double what I was seeing. I also noted a friend’s station looking similar to mine. This morning I tried out of frustration setting the unit to power save mode and it began reading normally instantly…changing back to normal caused readings to be fine for a minute or so, then go back to problem state. Our two plots below

Here is my plot when going back and forth between normal and power save mode.
Here is my friend’s when he toggled to power save this morning. These are both now correct given current conditions here.

wind%20plot wing%20plot%20Tom

My station:
https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/2143/grid

His station:
https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/2200/grid

Please don’t make double threads for the same issue, won’t make it any easier for staff to follow, nor for others. :roll_eyes:
As I pinged support, they will have a look and come back, but as it is Sunday … it might be tomorrow.

1 Like

just thought that with the findings it should have been logged as a bug, not a general topic. Shall I delete the bug one?