Wind Direction when winds are calm should not be zero

Right, that’s an option we’ve chosen not to implement in the Smart Weather apps, but other application developers could certainly choose to do that. My own opinion is that direction is unknown when speed is zero, except for a couple exceptions*. I moved some of the other discussion to this thread in the Developers category, since it’s more about the underlying representation of the data as opposed to the display of that data.

*For anyone with an anemometer at the North pole, direction will always be South. And at the South Pole, direction will always be North. There are no other possibilities.

2 Likes

@SantaClaus :santa: will be leaving coal in your stocking if you don’t come up with a solution. :wink:

I’m going to skip the magnetic versus geographic pole debate…

3 Likes

I totally agree with that. It isn’t even an opinion, there just isn’t any direction in which the wind blows when the speed is zero. But displaying it like that doesn’t carry any information, whereas displaying the last valid measurement does and wouldn’t be unusual or wrong as all mechanical devices do the same. If I happen to look at the display while speed is temporarily zero, I would need the activate the graph to discover, that there is very light wind coming from the south (occasionally dropping to zero)

2 Likes

This is when you have to implement a rotation rate value: less than Earth’s rotation rate or greater than Earth’s rotation rate. The question then becomes, now long do you display the value for? :rofl:

1 Like

Hi, I’m sorry about the following post and being such a “newbie”. To me the display on the app for wind direction is confusing. I followed installation instructions and pointed the blue arrow on my Tempest station to North, meaning that when I look at a compass pointing north looking also at the station I am standing to the south of it looking north. However, wind readings from the app and the help file explanation seem backward. At the moment, winds based on the trees and flags are blowing FROM the NNW blowing TO SSE. For reference, my local NOAA NWS Airport station 5 miles away currently says wind direction = SSW.

The app displays S with the arrow pointing SSE. I’ll attach a screenshot. This seemed opposite so I just turned the station so the blue arrow now points S If I stand to the north of the station and the dark panels on the side of the device are facing southern skies.

So if the app displays wind direction as S, are the real winds blowing TO the south or FROM the south? I live at 39 14’ 58” in NV USA by the way. Did I do this wrong?

Blowing from the south.

The arrow is showing the wind from every 3-second sampling. The S 3.0 mph is the one minute average and the Gusting value is the range of wind speeds for all the samples during the minute. The triangle in the circle is on the side a weathervane would be pointing if it were mounted at the center of the circle. In other words, the point of the vane would be on the triangle. The tip of the triangle pointing toward the center of the circle is indicating the direction the wind was moving during the last sample.

Here is a picture which may help in orienting your Tempest.

Notice that the blue North mark should be in the shade at noon. When the directions say to face the blue mark north, it means if your eyes were where the mark is and your head was where the Tempest is, you would be looking north.

1 Like

Canada is losing claim to the magnetic North Pole because it’s shifting. Darn… Santa has to move now.

1 Like

Thanks everybody. This really helped!! :smiley:

1 Like