Wind Direction Strongly Biased in Tempest to North?

got it… I can’t/don’t read headers it would seem. Looks like the Tempest got its upgrade to v133 and the hub says it’s at v143 so now all I need to do is wait for the wind to pick up! Usually happens in the evening so when it’s had a chance to blow a bit I can report results. Is it better to chat about betas here (the community forum in general) or less publicly via support?

1 Like

Feel free to chat about this one in this thread, since it addresses the issue others are having. v133 is very nearly ready for production - we’ll probably start rolling it out early next week.

3 Likes

Is it possible to provide a change log for v133 when it’s pushed to Prod?

alright! This is looking much better, it’s not obvious which station is which after v133 was applied—didn’t see the higher wind speeds today but they did get over 5MPH which seemed to be the threshold at which v129 would start turning things northerly. The Tempest still likes to report a lower average velocity but what can you do.

Left edge is 11:00AM local time, plots from WU. WU station IDs are KWAWINTH11 (AcuRite) and KWAWINTH73 (Tempest).

2 Likes

Followup after a couple of days with the Tempest running v133. Again, the tendency to drift north when the wind goes above 5MPH is vastly improved, but it still shows some unexpected drift westward as the wind drops below 5MPH.

I broke down and put a 15° westward offset into the WF app for the Tempest, it probably needs to be 20° to agree with the AcuRite and neighboring stations. Again, I don’t know if that’s just my device or something related to tuning brand new firmware.

Both sets of charts are from WU (left is Tempest), I have the WF app uploading the Tempest data and the AcuRite app uploading its data (I believe AcuRite/WU is plotting the AcuRite peak/gust wind as the ‘wind speed’ which is why AcuRite seems to report higher velocity than WF).

2 Likes

Just an addendum to the wind direction topic. Since I now have one Tempest FT, my Prod. Tempest and my Sky on the now more accessible tower; I was looking at all three’s wind direction readings and since the App. defaults to North when winds are calm, does this effect the direction summary with a North bias??? An old and much discussed topic I know, but I still like that the old Rooster on the Barn still looks at the direction the wind was last… :-).

2 Likes

Much of my issue was resolved with firmware 134, it still seems generally biased north but for now the severe bias has been corrected (for my station). And that barn rooster was just all tuckered out from waking everyone up at o-dark-thirty.

1 Like