Wind direction arrow in data display

wind direction arrow in data display 180 degrees out. When arrow points up shows south points left displays east.

the arrow points to where the wind is blowing too, not blowing from. This is pretty common, but opposite of what a normal mechanical wind vane does. I prefer the current implementation.

1 Like

Now my old brain is confused (yet again). I use 3 displays. Tempest app, BTST and Weather-display. When the arrow is pointed (say) N the wind is ā€˜out ofā€™ the N and blowing in a S direction. This is the same protocol that Environment and Climate Change Canada uses.

I prefer this as I live on a little island off the East Coast of Canada and the direction the wind is from has a big influence on weather conditions. Generally for me an arrow N means cool / cold, South means all good and E means ACKā€¦nothing good comes from the East. :).

1 Like

look at thisā€¦ the little arrows point to where the wind is going to:
Windfinder - Wind map, wind forecast & weather reports (just click on any station)
It doesnā€™t have to be an animation. Here the little arrows at the graph do the same, pointing where the wind is going to:
Del Valle, TX 10-Day Weather Forecast | Weather Underground

The arrow points to the WSW, wind is coming from ENE blowing to WSW

This is a screen grab from BTST. Currently my wind is blowing from the North East and the arrow points to the North East.

yep, that is opposite of what weatherflow and many others do.BTST shows the arrow in the direction the wind is blowing from. Thatā€™s a choice the programmer made. Mechanical wind vanes do the same. Not wrong, just different.
You mentioned that tempest app does the same as BTST, but it doesnā€™t.

Ah, right you are. I also note the text narrative in tempest indicates the direction the wind is from. Little wonder my old brain gets short circuit.

And thanks for the discussion. :slight_smile:

the text is ALWAYS wind is coming from, also in BTST. Northern wind comes from the north.

As the developer of btstWx, I made the decision to show the wind arrow as if it were a wind vaneā€¦ the original development was geared towards sailorsā€¦ who need to know where the wind is coming from, not where it is going.
That being saidā€¦ WF kinda shows the same thing, since the arrow IS located where the wind is coming from (but points to where it is going). Confusing? Yesā€¦ Wrong? meh!

2 Likes

And Meteorologists have always used ā€œFrom-iesā€ not ā€œTo-iesā€ when it comes to wind direction. . . .

Wind is from the WNW at 2.8 gusting to 5.7 mph.
Wind is out of (from) the WNW at 5.1 mph.

Iā€™m a meteorologist. . .Iā€™ve used ā€œfromā€ for the last 51 years.

2 Likes

It isnā€™t meaningless since it is easily determined what the wind is doing by that statement alone. Furthermore, that is what is needed for calculations like ground track of an aircraft flying in that wind. In other words, it is the actual wind vector rather than the negative of the wind vector.

what is the latest version of btstwx now?