Wind data every 3 second

Hi, I wonder if the UDP call of Wind Data every 3 second its an unique value reading every 3 second?, or its a “average” of many values in the reading interval of 3 seconds?.

Thank you in advance.
Franco

The simple answer is, a sample every 3 seconds.

This can be pushed up if the battery is drained to power save modes to 6 secs, 1 minute and in last case 5 minutes

1 Like

There are many ultrasonic pulses sent from each ultrasonic transducer in turn during 3 seconds. The time between each of the 4 transducers in both directions creates many different time periods. All of those numbers go into a calculation to determine a single speed and direction for that 3 seconds.
Cheers Ian :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@iladyman is right, many measurements are done, so it isn’t as easy to say that there is just one sample. What I don’t know is how long these measurements take, are they all done in one hundreds of a second and the rest of the 3 seconds it is doing nothing? or is it busy during the whole 3 seconds.

Anyway, for all practical purposes you only get the final result as the udp data.

2 Likes

I think there are previous posts from David saying that the reported data is the average over the measurement period. So if you have 3-second rapid wind, you’re getting a 3 second average. If you’re reporting temperature, you’re getting the average temperature over that (likely) 60 second period.

Except for events like lightning or rain start that is…

1 Like

given the fact that they want to save as much battery as possible, I think this is unlikely. Temperature doesn’t change that quickly. There really isn’t any need to read it very often, or average it over 1 minute interval. Wind is different as it fluctuates a lot. Also it needs a sequence of pulses to compensate for variations in sound velocity.So it measures both from transducer A to B and from B to A. but it most likely cannot do that at exactly the same time. If the wind changes only a little between those measurements you get wrong values. That’s why it needs multiple measurements. Also between all transducers. If it keeps doing that for the full 3 seconds or is done in a fraction of that, I don’t know.

1 Like

Of course it might be averaging ‘one’ reading during that reporting period :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I understood that the 3-second reading was an instantaneous one, meaning over a fraction of a second to sample. Here are a couple posts which imply this: Wind card explained and Wind reporting high - power save mode - #7 by WFmarketing

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure reading somewhere (but can’t find it) that several measurements are done. So it isn’t really instantaneous, but of course it would be good if it was as short as possible (unless it is averaging but than it still would be good if all the samples being averaged are as short as possible)

((just to be clear, the unit only reports one value every three seconds at most))

2 Likes

apparently many (most, every?) microphone in mobile phones is capable of picking up ultrasonic sounds. I just tried this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microcadsystems.serge.ultrasounddetector to see if it reacted to the tempest, but I couldn’t see a clear result.

1 Like