Wifi 5Ghz smart connect no good

@WFmarketing
Now it happened three times so far, and I came to the conclusion that the hub has problems connecting to my router. The router transmits with the same network id on both the 2.4Ghz as the 5Ghz band, and has a feature called smart connect so when I walk with my phone out of range of the 5Ghz network it automatically switches to the 2.4Ghz. Great feature, but when that is enabled, the Hub doesn’t want to connect. It doesn’t see the network at all. I have to disable smartconnect and the 5Ghz and only then the network shows up. Once connected I can enable 5Ghz and smart connect and the hub stays connected.

My suspicion is, that there is secretly a 5Ghz antenna in the Hub, Weatherflow doesn’t use 5Ghz, but perhaps the chip does and it searches on both bands, finds the 5Ghz one, and the firmware in the hub ignores it. I think it needs a bit more attention to search only on the 2.4Ghz, or at least don’t ignore a 2.4Ghz network when there is a 5Ghz network with the same name.

Of course this is just speculation on my side, but if possible, someone should look into it.

As I wrote in another post, the implementation of band-steering schemes in even professional-grade wifi hardware is wonky at best. I have to deal with consumer-grade devices in the tens of thousands on a professional-grade wifi network for a living, and those with some cheap, 2.4Ghz-only wifi chipsets fail to connect because the band-steering logic in the access point believes that the device can communicate on 5 Ghz when in reality the hardware has no support for it. When the access point disconnects the device from 2.4 Ghz and tells it to connect to 5 Ghz when it doesn’t have the radio to do so, the result is no connectivity.

Ask me why I run different SSID’s for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks at my own house, as well as wifi access points across 23 buildings at work.

If you’re bored, I can write a doctoral thesis on the behavior of consumer electronics devices on business-grade wifi networks utilizing security schemes more advanced than WPA2/PSK…

2 Likes

I have plenty of 2.4 Ghz devices in my house and they don’t have this problem at all. That’s why my initial guess is more aimed towards the radio in the Hub. Note that even with the smart connect feature off, but with both networks having the same SSID, the hub doesn’t even lists the 2.4Ghz during scanning. If the hub only listens to 2.4 Ghz, it shouldn’t even be bothered with the other network having the same SSID. This is in the state that the hub didn’t even communicate with the router, it only receives info. The router is not doing anything to the hub, it only transmits the two SSID’s.
So my unscientific guess would still make sense: the chip in the hub HAS some 5Ghz capabilities, sees the 5Ghz network and ignores the network because it is 5Ghz, and it ignores the 2.4Ghz network because it has the same SSID as the 5Ghz network it just decided to ignore. This last part is perhaps something that can be solved in the firmware of the hub.

Interesting. I’ve just checked my router (BTHomeHub6) and it has the ability to use two different SSIDs for the 2 bands. I’ve now enabled it and wait to see what happens next.

1 Like

It should be fine with two different ssid’s. However I like the smart connect feature of the router, so my phone stays well connected when I move around in the house. If you use two different ssid’s, the phone would stay connected until it would loses connection at which point it will connect to the other. So if I run out of 5ghz range it would scan again and switch to the 2.4 ghz ssid with a different name. But when I would walk back in range of the much better 5ghz network it wouldn’t reconnect automatically. Smart connect will see the strong signal in the 2.4 Ghz band and make my phone switch back to 5Ghz automatically.

1 Like

I have although a 2.4 GHz and a 5GHz WLAN from one router (fritz!box 7390) with the same SSID with smart switching. Until now, no one of my two hubs had isssues with this situation.

once it is working there is no problem. but when I reboot my router, it often (but not always) goes wrong.

In my setup even a reboot of the router doesn’t effect the connection between router and Hub(s).

Hi Folks,
I am having this problem.
I cannot see my network but I can see others across the road.
I changed my 5Gh SSID to something totally different
but still the hub cannot see my network.
Rebooted router and hub many times.
Can I reduce the hub to factory defaults?
Has anyone any suggestions?

I was under the assumption that the WF hub cannot see or connect to a 5Ghz SSID? Every device in my house connects to the 5Ghz frequency apart from the WF hub.

1 Like

Sorry, should have said my hub cannot see my 2.4 network (or 5Gh one).
It cannot see any of my networks, but can see weak outside ones.

ah ok.

What router do you have? Is it hiding your own SSID’s?

Netgear WNDR3800. It is not hiding SSID’s
I turned off 5Gh and left only 2.4 to avoid conflict but it made no difference.
It did connect originally but now it can’t see my networks.
Very strange it can see others…

Probably the hub has no wifi-signal in that case you never find the hub.

perhaps try a wifi analyzer like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer to check if wifi is strong enough at the location of the hub

Thanks Sunny, been using that all along to test.
My Wifi network signal is strong.
Weird that the WF app can see other weak networks
but not my own and the one the phone itself is connect to.

Oh dear. It looks as though something has happened to my hub now… My Asus router needed a reboot, since doing so, my hub didn’t reconnect. I just connected to the hub via bluetooth to have a look at the WiFi settings, and it doesn’t show my own 2.4Ghz SSID anymore.

I can only think of one thing that may be causing it… I now have an IPv6 address. Could that be it?

Done a little troubleshooting… switched back to IPv4, still not showing my 2.4Ghz SSID. I have even set up a guest network but it’s not showing that either. Like Sunny says, it shows everybody else’s WiFi, except mine.

The hub is only 5 feet away from my router as well.

Second toubleshoot:

I went out of the room, circa 20 feet away from the hub and refreshed the WiFi list, and my SSID’s show up. I then went back in to the room, around 2 feet away from the hub and refreshed, my SSID’s had gone again.

Something isn’t quite right.

2 Likes

Hi Moey
Did you get this sorted?
I am having the same trouble.
Got a replacement hub but still the same…

Hey Folks
I found the answer.
I switched wireless channel from 12 to 6.
Now the hub sees all my network :slight_smile:

3 Likes

can_of_worms_ahead

???

1 Like