What size pipe/pole/mast do I need for my SKY?

I’ve seen mentions of both 1" and 1 1/2" PVC pipe in WF’s forums. Which size do I want for SKY? I think my best option in my backyard is attaching a pole to our little-used playground set (like a “Rainbow Systems” set). It’s about 12-14 feet above the ground at its highest point with plenty of clearance and wind flow from all directions. I have to figure out how to attach the pipe to the structure and keep it straight, rigid – and reachable for battery changes, which is important to me.

The official WeatherFlow pole mount is designed for two sizes: 1.315 inches / 33.4 mm and 1.25 inches / 32 mm. And any pipe/pole/mast within a mm or so of those dimensions will probably work.

Why the odd sizes? Well, 33.4 mm is the outer diameter of what turns out to be a pretty common pipe size all over the world. It’s what Americans who work with such things would call “one inch pipe”. The official size is a north american standard known as “NPS-1” (aka “1 inch Nominal Pipe Size”). It’s also a common pipe size in the rest of the world, officially called “DN-25” (aka “25 mm diamètre nominal”). Despite the official label, the outer diameter of such a pipe is neither 1 inch nor 25 mm in diameter, for reasons that are outside the scope of this forum. :wink:

The 1.25 inch / 32 mm size is another “standard” - it’s a common size for antenna mounts, which folks often use for mounting weather stations.

This and other SKY mounting tips can be found on the Proper Siting & Installation section of our support website.

3 Likes

From Sky mounting instructions.
“With unobstructed exposure to wind from as many directions as possible, and at least 3m (10 ft) above any surface (ground, roof, etc).”
How far does it need to be away from trees walls etc… to be called unobstructed? E.g. 20m, 50m, 100m?

…or maybe not… :wink:

https://community.tempest.earth/t/pvc-mast-for-sky/1250/4?u=vreihen

2 Likes

I’m wondering my self if a 30mm rod would work, or is that too small?

It might be just a bit too small for the Sky’s clamp to grasp, but you can always pad it up with duct tape around the rod to get the added possible benefit of some vibration damping as well…

5 Likes