What material for sky's mast

32 mm would fit.
I will search on Google.
I came across a website that sells aluminium pipes for much less. You can choose the lengthy and diameter.
Will post it when I found it.

www.aluminiumopmaat.nl
There you can choose on diameter and length. But it is raw aluminium.
Could we use that?

Looks fine but I’m not sure how much the outer diameter can fluctuate for mounting maybbe some expert in metric units know this

BTW this is going offtop-topic can the moderater put this in the right topic ?

not easy to find a fit for all topic. Guess this one will do :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My PVC pipe filled with sand was too wobbly, so I replaced it with a galvanized steel pipe today. I considered aluminum and steel electrical conduit tubes, black pipe, and copper pipe. I trusted the steel pipe to be hardier in the weather without bending, corroding or oxidizing. I’m told the outer diameter of the pipe or tube should be 31 to 33 mm (1.25-1.31 inches). Hope this is helpful.

Sky mounting pole diameter

What size pipe/pole/mast do I need for my Sky

Installing Sky on rooftop

I already ordered a 3 meter long 1" galvanized steel pipe for mounting the Sky.

Think that would fit. And it’s more weather resistant.

Just wanted to report that my sand-filled 5’ furniture-grade PVC mast appears to be performing quite well. In the three weeks that it’s been up, I’ve had only one false rain report which I attributed to a possible bird landing. Other than that, it’s been rock solid. Of course, the weather has been quite calm – the strongest gust I’ve gotten so far has been 18 MPH. But so far so good. I’ll report back once we’ve gotten some inclement weather to put this baby to the test.

Gotta say, though, that I love Sunny’s idea for a clear acrylic mast. Not sure how well it’ll perform, but dang me, it sure looks cool. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

My acrylic mast is a bit longer than yours I think, and at 4 Bft it swings slowly 2 cm or so at the top. But no false rain. I’m not sure how bad the swinging is for other measurements. I guess the sensitive ultrasound detectors might sense it and it would have some effect on the wind measurements. But I hope the swinging averages out a bit.

I attached a 10’ PCV pipe capped at the bottom to a 4" x 4" post with the Tempest weather station on top. It’s pretty steady, but I’m wondering if anybody has filled the PCV pipe with sand or small gravel or some other substance, and if that provided added stability. What is your experience?

Just do some search on the forum on sky or Tempest. There are many persons that shared what they did. All depends on the PVC pipe you took, how you attach it and so many other little details. Gravel nope, that might be just too heavy and not really going to damp vibrations. Rather sand and don’t make the pipe too long as it will swing without wires.

I did fill my PVC pipe with sand and I feel it made a significant improvement in its stability. Two years later and i get very few false rain reports, and like I said after installing it, I attribute those false reports to birds perching on top of it. It’s rare, but it happens.

My pipe is only 5’ or so. Not sure how stable a ten footer would be, even with sand, but it’d be worth a try.

Thanks Eric, It was a standard 1" pcv pipe that I purchased at Lowes and capped at the bottom so bugs would not climb up the inside of the pipe. The pipe sits on the ground and is attached to a 4" x 4" inch post with a height of 5’ above the ground. I attached the pipe with three 1" clamps to the post as well as two 3" screws through the pole and into the wood. The pipe is 10’ so it sticks 5’ above the post. I painted both the pipe and the wood post with brown paint to blend into the woods.

If I fill the pcv pipe with sand, does the top need to be capped in some way before attaching the Tempest weather station to the pole?

Thanks. Did you cap the top of the pcv pipe before attaching the weather station?

Yes, I capped both ends. I didn’t want to attach the unit until the mast was securely erected, and I didn’t want to worry about a bunch of sand spilling all over the place while maneuvering on a hot rooftop.