WeeWX UDP driver for WeatherFlow station

What you need to do is figure out if Pat is calculating something custom or if he’s just picking an element that weewx calculated and stored on the db. Shouldn’t be too hard to do some ‘grep -Ri’ for the word ‘feels’ to figure it out.

1 Like

Hey guys, I got mine all up and running. And @jamesbellanca good job man, I am a server and network engineer and this took me a bit to get figured out how everything works.

I am using the Tempest and noticed something flawed on mine and was wondering if you guys have as well. I know its not a driver or weewx issue.

So check this out… My pressure is reporting correctly in the WeatherFlow and Weather Underground apps. Its sitting about 29.62 right now which is about right on. Oddly though… my UDP packet reports it waaay lower down at 26. So from wireshark I see that it is reporting in MB. Mine is 913.44 and if I divide that by 33.864 like we are supposed to I get 26.92.

Any of you guys experiencing this?

The pressure reported in the UDP data is the raw station pressure. This will always be lower than the pressure reported in the app/weather underground/weewx, as they’ll be reporting the pressure corrected for your station’s altitude.

2 Likes

@peter Man, :man_facepalming: , That makes sense, I finally figured out the issue. Looks like my altitude on weewx was not set correctly ha. Ok… well… thats embarrassing. Thanks peter. That fixed my issue.

@josh1, no worries - it happens to us all sometimes. Glad you managed to figure it out!

Glad you got it all up and running well @josh1. You might also want to check out this thread with what I did next.

https://community.tempest.earth/t/script-to-update-weewx-with-wf-api-data/7229

nice work! glad to see weewx support

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve installed WeeWX on a Raspberry Pi. I’ve also installed Apache and when configuring WeeWX with the Simulator driver, I’m able to see the WeeWX webpage with the sample data.

I’ve also installed the WeatherFlow UDP driver. I’ve reconfigured WeeWX to use that driver however, I don’t see the HTML pages being recreated when using the UDP driver (http://IP/weewx). I’ve enabled log_raw_packets = True and I do see the packets being captured when looking at the syslog.

Any tips to help me figure out why the HTML pages are not being re-created when using the UDP driver?

1 Like

Did you restart WeeWX after editing the config file? Did you check the web pages at least 10 minutes after restarting WeeWX? They are only rebuilt every 5 minutes…

Yes, restarted WeeWX and rebooted the RPi. Left it running overnight and it hasn’t created the HTML files.

Did you set up a sensor map? Without a sensor map, nothing will be emitted.

By the way, you are better of posting WeeWX questions to the weewx-user forum.

-tk

1 Like

Could you help me with the Sensor Map? The instructions says that if I use the --reconfigure I shouldn’t need to do anything else.

The weewx.conf has:

The weatherflowudp.py has this top section commented out:

If I scroll down, I don’t see that section. This is the closest I see:

Looks like I had to copy and paste that information in the weewx.conf. This is what I have now but I’m only getting wind being captured. I have a Tempest:

OK, got it working. Needed to change the sensor map from Air to Tempest by replacing the obs_air to obs_st

This is what it looks like and I’m capturing data and HTML pages are being updated:

1 Like

Hey, I recognize that sensor_map! AR-00004424 is one of my Air units!

RIP, AR-00004424. :frowning: At one point, it was one of (if not the) longest continuously-running WF devices in the world…

1 Like

I’m looking at the battery level in WeeWx and it says it is “Low”.

When I look at the Tempest itself, it shows a good battery voltage:

Is there anything I need to change in the config files so that WeeWx represents the Tempest battery level correctly?

What is the normal “good” range for battery in the Tempest?

Looks like they are documented here.

2 Likes

liking WeeWX so far … using the UDP driver… however…am i missing something…it limits how often visuals get refreshed. I’m using the BelcherTown skin.

I wanted the wind direction and speed and temp update more real time… with UDP pushing all the time…is there any way to make this work.

I thought about having to go about it a round about way… using
weatherflow-udp-listener
and converting to MQTT and subscribing to that MQTT information for the skin to work.

Am I overthinking this or missing a configuration somewhere?

The sample Tempest sensor_map maps these two voltage readings (decimal numeric):

outTempBatteryStatus = battery.ST-00000025.obs_st
    windBatteryStatus = battery.ST-00000025.obs_st

Translating them into words is apparently happening in the WeeWX default “Seasons” skin:

https://groups.google.com/g/weewx-user/c/etdA36tsNFM

I don’t use the “Seasons” skin (Belchertown skin is the cat’s meow), so I will leave you take it from here…