WeatherFlow PiConsole

In this case I did the update in /home/pi/wfpiconsole/ after reboot I tried it in / which did work.

For me, the update was done correctly as described by Petr, without a problem, there is one restart and piConsole is running again

Nvrmind :slight_smile:

Hi, I used to run the older version of piconsole fine; on my Ubuntu; but after I upgrade Piconsole and run it, it asks for a token. Enter token, eventually, the screen blinks a few times and the whole screen is black. I can’t do anything on the screen. Pls help.

same reply Peter gives each time, without any details no way we can help :wink:

1 Like

Where is the log file?

in the same directory you installed wfpiconsole. All depends how you installed it in your ubuntu version.

1 Like

Feature request: is it possible to integrate this? See: API Documentation - RainViewer.

1 Like

@axathai, as Eric said, I need to see the log to see what is happening. You can either copy and paste the contents of wfpiconsole.log file, or copy from the terminal screen.

It didn’t produce any log file in my wfpiconsole folder. As I said, after input the wf token, the whole display becomes blank. I can not do anything to leave that blank screen and do anything else.
Do I have to set anything to get the log file?

No, the log file should be generated automatically when you run the console using wfpiconsole start.

Does it go blank before you enter you station and device IDs? In your wfpiconsole folder can you see a wfpiconsole.ini file?

Peter

Haven’t you thought of using an e-paper screen instead of the RAspberry LCD screen?

I came across an interesting project
: GitHub - G6EJD/ESP32-e-Paper-Weather-Display: An ESP32 and 2.9", 4.2" or 7.5" ePaper Display reads Weather Underground data via their API and then displays the weather

I am trying to adapt the program to raspberry but my skills are very limited!

The Wind Speed / Direction section looks very cool. Thats a good idea to improve the Pi Console. Another nice section to add to the Pi Console could be the WiFi signal strength (not sure if its included in the current WF API) and the battery exposed in the main screen.

I really love the way Pi Console was designed. A freindly / clean interface with nice colors…

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 2.56.42 PM Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 2.57.09 PM

1 Like

I agree that the e-ink screens look good, but this is very unlikely to happen. Converting the PiConsole to run on an e-ink screen is basically a brand new project, a with complete re-write of the code required. Sorry!

As far as I am aware this is not exposed in the public facing API. Would be nice to add though

I hope WF expose via API HUB WiFi signal strength and Station to HUB 900 MHz signal level at some point.

This is my attempt at a display
I don’t know Python so it’s all written in Basic - 19inch hdmi monitor the photo isn’t brilliant but it looks better irl

The thing folks have to remember is that all these ePaper dashboard variants like the one shown use an arduino to drive the display, so it’s not like just programming natively in python or javascript on a raspi. It’s quite a different beast.

That said, you could likely fake the color+fonts realistically with a CSS setup for a traditional screen.

1 Like

ok - I have some time this week to fiddle with this again.

I have raspbian-lite (not the desktop) on a clean SD card and have installed wfpiconsole and gotten through the prompts for API keys and Station info just fine. The display doesn’t start because there isn’t one. It’s a headless runlevel-3 os.

Some questions:

• do I need to redo this with a desktop os in runlevel-5 ?
  • do I need a monitor attached for the console to start ?

Where I get uncertain above is the VNC reference. If the VM is light (runlevel-3) how does the console attach to a nonexistent display ?

Maybe the guidance in this thread will get things going - RPi4B with Buster - VNC not working.... - Raspberry Pi Forums