Weatherflow, Florence and NWS Hurricane Center

Just seen this announcement by the NWS on Florence. Cool they mention a WF station!41752356_10156440690962367_2401321528068145152_n

11 Likes

Out of curiosity, I’m using the WF map to look check out the conditions at some stations in the Carolinas and see many that haven’t been updated for 9/10 hours. I’m assuming there are power cuts there?

…or telecomm cuts. In regional emergencies, even a hardened cellular system crumbles under the load of emergency traffic and YouTube video posting…

3 Likes

Stay safe, fellow weather nuts.

Jim

2 Likes

Just to be clear, the WeatherFlow station located at Fort Macon referenced by the NHC is one of the purpose-built WF Hurricane Network (not a home Smart Weather Station). The Fort Macon station is $100k+ installation designed to measure incoming severe weather events. See data from the WF professional network along the Carolina coast here: ds.weatherflow.com/storm/florence

22%20AM

7 Likes

Very cool, but I don’t think the wife would be good with me upgrading my weather station to one of those :rofl:

Jim

4 Likes

Here’s another one mentioning weather flow:

Hurricane Florence Discussion Number 61
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL062018
1100 AM EDT Fri Sep 14 2018

Florence’s satellite signature remains very impressive even though
the eye is now located just inland over southeastern North Carolina
near Cape Fear. However, land interaction has taken its toll on the
inner-core circulation, and the previously well-defined eye in
radar imagery has shrunk and become filled with rain echoes. The
advisory intensity has been lowered to 70 kt based on earlier
reports from an Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft, NOAA
Doppler weather radar velocity data from Wilmington and Morehead
City, and nearby surface observations. The central pressure of 958
mb is based on observations from a NOAA NOS site in Wrightsville
Beach and a Weatherflow private station in Federal Point. Another
Air Force Hurricane Hunter aircraft will be sampling the portion of
Florence’s circulation over water during the next few hours.

1 Like

The @UFWertheim Hurricane Research team deployed 3 professional WF stations right in the eye of Florence coming ashore in coastal Carolina.

https://twitter.com/auburn_windengr/status/1040311999920582657

https://twitter.com/WeatherFlowCHAS/status/1040418480766562304

16%20PM

4 Likes

How do you secure the equipment from wind damage?

And from people with a big truck hitch?

^^^^^ Has a big truck hitch ^^^^^ :wink:

2 Likes

On a more serious (and non-Florence) note, I saw this storm report pop up in the iOS “WU Storm” app a few days back. Notice the source:

i

I used the hurricane map link to see that there is a WF Professional station on the Long Island Sound shore at that location…

1 Like

Let’s hope the electric activity won’t continu on land, there is already enough misery

And let’s not forget there is another major storm about the other half of the world : Typhoon Mangkhut

1 Like

@eric here’s a shot from the TOA system too.

lightningflorence

1 Like

I saw some wind reports here in the NYC area and noticed some wind gusts were reported by weatherflow stations. The National weather Service used the data from weatherflow. Anyone have a link or know the process to register my weatherflow station so the NWS can use my data?

1 Like

Are you sure they were the consumer Weatherflow systems?

Massapequa park my doesn’t have a new office. Today it said 41mph by wxflow

As this thread explains, WeatherFlow’s “day job” is operating a private network of commercial-grade coastal weather stations, as well as generating forecasts for specific niche markets. These are not our Smart Weather stations, although their experience from operating a hands-off nationwide network of commercial stations is reflected in our consumer-grade hardware by avoiding moving parts that need hands-on attention.

My guess is that WF has a commercial station in Massapequa Park on the coast, or possibly out at Tobay Beach on the barrier island.

If you want to share your own data with the NWS, look at the third-party apps section here for WeeWX or any other package that will upload to CWOP…

3 Likes