Weatherflow and meteobridge

Great news this morning Boris at meteobridge has agreed to use my hardware OTA to build compatibility with meteobridge. I’m really glad about this and from what I gather from David at weatherflow and meteobridge have worked together in the past . Creative times ahead I think…

Brian

4 Likes

This week end Boris has been rockin it out hard and Weather Flow Integration is here. 2018 is going to be a fantastic year for smart weather monitoring for all of us! :+1::star_struck:

3 Likes

Sure is my friend … got your email (replied), im tied up on another project till wednesday(home automation dashboard for a neighbour) but i will speak to boris and get all the data added on to the API output for the template speak hopefully wednesday your time 1-2pm CST onwards… have fun …

success patrick this morning (sunday) another lightning storm all-day so ideal time to get the lightning feature solved. im running two air sensors simultaneously one horizontal and one vertical …

we can now also measure the energy of the strike and have a running total of daily,monthly,yearly strikes along with the distances etc …

pat

Brian,

What kind of formula / math is used to determine the lightning energy?? Regardless that is so awesome to know and have!! :scream::hugs::+1:

patrick

i dont know the formula perhaps E = mc2 :slight_smile: no seriously its a part of the UDP reference for lightning and perhaps david @dsj can fill you in…

Already it would be nice to know what unit is used, guess joules but …

here is an article explaining a bit the energy released by a lightning

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2008JD011506/full3

That made me laugh. :rofl::star_struck:

1 Like

The “energy” value from the lighting sensor is a number the lightning sensor itself gives us (we don’t do any calculations with it). We’re still trying to figure out what this number means, though. According to the manufacturer’s spec sheet (Section 8.9.2), “This value is just a pure number and has no physical meaning.”

There is no explanation for how to interpret this value, but it’s probably a safe assumption that the “energy” value indicates the relative strength of the signal detected. Note, however, that a weak/close strike might report the same “energy” as a strong/distant strike.

The sensor also provides an estimated distance to the source of the strike, of course, which is likely the more important and understandable value to most users. Hence, we’ve chosen to ignore the “energy” value in the Smart Weather applications and only report distance and count. We still provide the “energy” value through the API channels in case we (or other developers) figure out a use for it in the future.

If you are interested, here is the datasheeet on the sensor.

taken from the datasheet

8.9.2 Energy Calculation
If the received signal is classified as lightning, the energy is calculated. The result of the energy calculation is then stored in the registers REG0x06[4:0], REG0x05[7:0] and REG0x04[7:0]. This value is just a pure number and has no physical meaning.

Thank you all for that insight. :+1:

Has anyone figured out why the instructions indicate to plug the Hub directly into the TP Link router?

do we need to know ? why not just use it for its purpose it works flawlessly . in that configuration it also powers the wf hub…

if aint broke dont fix it…

The instructions imply it’s necessary yet I did not plug the Hub into the bridge. I see no loss of data and all seems fine so I ask because I don’t want issues.

the instructions highlight you can power the wf hub via the meteobridge…less cabling and remember no power supply is supplied with the hub so its a means not having to use another power socket .less wiring less cables happy wife …

1 Like

Okay. I just want to be sure I am not missing something.

I keep all wired Ethernet in a secure room the basement. The Hub is hidden on the upper floor as close to the Air and Sky as possible.

Thank you for the clarification.

To be clear not all of the TP-Link routers provide enough current to power the Hub. The newer model does indeed offer enough current to power the Hub. The router I have on hand did not have enough power to operate either Hub.

For me it didn’t make any difference because they are being powered by a massive 24.7.365 four layer On-Line UPS system.

I am late to the party here, only just received my WF. I have a couple of Rpi that are running 24/7 and would like to use them for Meteobridge. One is a node server for the ISY and the other controls my 3D printer. Both of them are headless servers.

I have read the home page for the meteobridge and it seems like this only runs on the TP Link hardware or on a VM. Am I missing anything here? If this particular product does not work on a Rpi, then what would? My goal is to be able to use the data for my Rachio sprinklers and to do that I need to get the information into a format for CWOP.

Thanks…

On a Pi you can install weewx, use the pluging @vreihen wrote to collect the stations data via local udp package intercept. And weewx can send it to … just read it on the wiki

Have fun :wink:

2 Likes