Weather Underground - Issues and Comments

It wasn’t always this way. AcuRite’s original bridges used to send all data back to the Chaney mothership, which then passed it along to WU. They were also throttled to 10-15 minute updates, IIRC. This is the reason why the AcuRite Access hub was re-engineered to send directly to WU…

1 Like

You are correct. Even before the Access, the SmartHub firmware was changed at some point to send data directly to WU.

How do you accomplish this?

I have been told multiple times that weatherflow is doing everything correctly to send our data to weather underground. Although I have asked for some details on how they are doing this, I have not received any responses from them thus far. As such, it is difficult to determine whether or not they really are sending our data to weather underground in the most efficient and most optimal manner to get the best performance.

If you take a look at some of my earlier entries in this thread, I have asked them if they are using a correctly-formatted get request, if they are using the weatherstation or rtupdate weather underground server, if they are opening/closing one socket for every single tempest station, if they are monitoring http responses, if they are pipelining requests, etc., etc., etc. without any answers.

Currently, I am using my own custom application to update weather underground. It is a windows application but could easily be converted to a linux application. There are various other programs one can run on a system (such as weewx) that can be used to update weather underground as well. One of our fellow users also informed me of a hardward device (meteobridge) that can also be used to upload our tempest data to weather underground in a much more timely fashion.

Thought I would mention too, on their weatherunderground map on the android app does not show my Tempest pws as well and I have sent numerous emails to them with regards to this with no response.
Does anyone have a direct contact with weatherunderground?

Just as an FYI (this may not be your issue) any station on weather underground will be removed from the map if it has been 15 minutes or more since it’s last update. Once it checks in again it will appear again.

Since updates are 20-30 minutes apart now due to these issues the station will not appear on the map about 50% of the time.

2 Likes

Thank you for your post reply Cody, very much appreciated.
It would be nice if weatherunderground would reply too.

I honestly don’t think that even IBM (WU’s latest owner) knows how their upload protocols work any more. :roll_eyes:

As the saying on wxforum.net goes: It’s not you…it’s WU…

1 Like

Thank you for your post reply vreihen, very much appreciated.
A bit piss poor from a company like them.

Realize that I was a WU user since they were a Telnet site (before the web) and was also one of their first paying members who kept paying even when they started giving out free memberships for PWS owners.

They killed all of the features that I cared about (like emails for NWS alerts), and finally jumped the shark so bad in 2017 that I decided not to renew…

2 Likes

So as of today (01/25), my Tempest data is being uploaded every 5 minutes or so to Wunderground…and yesterday it was uploading at 20-30 minutes…so something happened overnight, maybe a server update or firmware?

Here’s my station on WU, scroll down to change the date and see how it changed upload rates overnight…literally
KNYROCHE535

This is still using the built-in WU upload feature through the Tempest settings, not using any third-party setup…

3 Likes

I just noticed that too. I’m also just using the Tempest WF integrations and not any 3rd party app. As of today, info appears to be uploading every 5 minutes to WU. KFFLARGO167

Previously only updated to WU 3 times an hour at best. Hopefully this continues…

1 Like

sshhhhhhh :upside_down_face: since it works don’t talk or Murphy might come back

4 Likes

Can we connect a Tempest to the Weather Underground and send our data? I have registered my Tempest with WU. They provided a station ID and key that I am supposed to put into my weather station software. I do not see how to do this on the Weatherflow Tempest app. Can anyone help?

Welcome to the forum,
At the top of this forum page is a link to ‘INFO’ - ‘Help center’ - search - enter “Underground” returns this page which includes the instructions:

However people are having issues with it either being available or working properly. You can learn about those issues in this forum by searching for Weather Underground.
One of the topics returned is this one:

Best of luck
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

And before some will come and say there is once again a problem :upside_down_face:

yes there was an outage : 5:00 UTC to 12:30 UTC today.

Our apologies for that. :face_in_clouds:

1 Like

I still have it set to my Meteobridge to send the info to WU, but I was wondering, does the Weatherflow server send the peak wind gust over the 5 minutes intervals or just the peak wind at the time of observation. I mean that way WU and tempest have the same wind peak gusts or will they always be a little different

When I was comparing how it worked a year ago due to different maximum gust amount and time I deduced that weather underground was not displaying the correct maximum gust amount and time due to exactly your question. Weather underground was not receiving all of the maximum gust readings, which caused an error. It was part of the reason, actually a main reason why I stopped relying on weather underground.
Cheers Ian :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FYI everyone. I noticed WU was down again. It isn’t just for Weatherflow. I noticed this happening regularly lately. I wonder what is making their server crash so much

IBM bought them. Even before that, WU was a train wreck for several years…

6a00d834516a0869e20223c84c66fc200c-800wi

4 Likes