Weather Underground Announcement

I’ve not seen mention of this announcement on here so thought I’d post a link. It would seem as if WU/IBM have been listening.

4 Likes

I am not surprised. I think many of us saw this coming.

1 Like

Yup, they jumped the shark when IBM took over…

You did read this bit…

If you are a Personal Weather Station owner, you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We’ll reach out once that plan has been finalized.

1 Like

What will @anon84912554 do now?

I like that I can reply to this from my email.

1 Like

So bad, what would be the point of accessing the data we sent to WU? If we sent it, we have it! The only interest, until now, was to access data from other stations than ours …

Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Some people in the weewx world use WU essentially as their backup mechanism for historical data just in case their computer crashes and they lose their (more granular) local archive database and summary tables…

1 Like

In addition, some PWS web site templates (@weather34 for one?) use WU’s copy of your station data for their monthly/yearly graphs…

1 Like

Yep for now i use the data from WU for meteotemplate i ve no other archive atm and graphs for weather34

1 Like

or alternatively use mysql with meteobridge version remember meteobridge is a self sufficient device . API version for template is a quick and easy method however Im all for dropping anything weather underground .

guess i could just offer the meteobridge version for weatherflow hardware and alike . and not offer the other versions would certainly suit me going forward less to support and less to code .

i dont need much of an excuse to narrow it all down to a comfortable level … its got overwhelming again and I might grab this opportunity and with upcoming move of house it might be a sensible thing todo.

thanks for the info

3 Likes

Or building weather34 template that pushes the wf data in a database :slight_smile:

ron ill do it for you and send it along but im so sorry after mid october im moving and the likelihood of upcoming changes to weatherflow api could just break something so you can install it now but if it breaks in the near future then there is not a lot i can do to help .

look out for an email this week its pretty straight forward one click install and set up mysql but its based on the current api structure…

2 Likes

I know you re in the move the api from WU will work till jan 1st so dont hurry where are you moving to Brian?

1 Like

bodrum , turkey …less traffic and finally a garden of our own :slight_smile: so i can talk to the plants grow my own veggies ,fruit and stick my head out the door collect freshly laid eggs every morning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats a nice location been there .well a small village Just near it cant remember the name but it has a nice environment good move!!

1 Like

Not for “spam advertising”, but Weather Station plugin build your station history, and it’s a in mysql / mariadb :wink:

@pierre Lol I know its running on the background on another server

1 Like

Yes. Yours. Not a server from a company which will change its rules :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not getting the vehement anti-WU vibe everywhere. Stop feeding them data and shop elsewhere, so to speak, if you don’t like their terms and conditions.

4 Likes

I use WU to get the data to PWSweather for my Rachio weather station to use… Sure, there are alternative methods… but this works for now…

1 Like