We can charge Tempest via USB without opening the unit

You can charge your Tempest with a Smartwatch charger. My unit was falling off network and eventually did come back. Unfortunately My voltage was too low for any real troubleshooting. Staring at the pins I decided to try something out and got lucky. A $7, 4-pin smartwatch charger fits perfectly and the +/- pins are in the correct locations (cables may vary). The cable is intended to be magnetic but I taped it down and ran it off an $9 cell phone power bank giving 5v. Within 5 minutes I got a notification that my station was back online. This buys me time to decide if I want to make this a permanent setup or get the official Tempest power booster. I hope it helps someone else.

5 Likes

so far so good 2.77v

1 Like

What charger did you buy?

I used an old solar power bank I had laying around that is not available anymore

and this cable

but any power bank should do the job. I am waiting to see if the power booster goes on sale this week. However my current solution is already waterproof and adds additional Solar charging which the official booster does not.

2 Likes

Cool find !!!

That looks like some of the Fitbit cables Iā€™ve seen. I guess anything is possible given knowing which pins to connect as long as you donā€™t release the magic smokeā€¦

1 Like