UV seems too high or too low (solved with auto-calibration CL system)

And here are my results 90 km north of spacesnow his location.
Although we have some more clouds today over here.
smartweather

1 Like

Hi there @dsj, please count me in for the calibration feature: today at 12:55PM the UV-index of my station reached 12.3… that would surely have burned every living thing to a crisp. Station 4935, latitude 52N, longitude 6E, altitude 16 meters above sea level. Thanks for your help.

That is way to high for sea level.

1 Like

It is very early spring here in eastern Australia, and our average peak UV index varies but around 5-7 or so below about 200m above sea level.
Today I registered an unexpected spike (approx 20 min before solar noon) at 8.4 .
Now this was after a very light shower (cloudy at the time) then the clouds parted , opening to a very bright clear sky.
My question is - could small droplets on the UV sensor cause focussing and increase the reading?

1 Like

An excellent observation. Time to do some reading.

1 Like

my sensor is way off, reading values of 14.7 (where perhaps 4 or 5 is expected, already reported to support) but it showed some interesting behavior. it was clear sky and the value was slowly rising (before noon). then at 12:52 it started rising above this trend. This was when clouds were coming in. So from clear sky, it jumped to higher, Sensor is clear and dry.

Could a few clouds, not blocking the sun actually increase the UV value compared to a totally clear sky??
perhaps the clouds scatter the uv that would otherwise not have reached the sensor.

Add me to the uv absurdly high list. I’d expect a high of 6 or so here close to SeaTac airport. Today would be a perfect test day, about as clear as it gets ever.

Fyi the dip in my solar every afternoon is when the sun goes behind a telephone pole for a few minutes.

I have two stations (5075 and 5080) which are right close to each other at the moment. I set up the one on the roof first (5075) and then mounted it. I set up the second one a little later and set it on my front porch until I had the pole on my RV installed a couple of days later. After getting it up on the pole I cleared the SKY’s data.
20180903_122444-p
What I am seeing is that the UV/Brightness/SR values quite different even though they are in close proximity and are only about 6’ different in elevation. The one on the RV is at the height of the peak of the roof.
Roof mounted:
Screenshot_20180903-124439_Smart%20Weather

RV mounted:
Screenshot_20180903-124432_Smart%20Weather

Is this related to the UV calibration or something else?

1 Like

with this kind of differences of a factor 2 (3 in my case) one starts wondering if there was any factory calibration at all.

2 Likes

But I’m not sure you have a problem with brightness or solar radiation. The sensor is supposedly very diffuse so it sees almost 180 degrees of the sky. Imagine taking a picture with a 180 degree fisheye lens pointed straight up, wouldn’t the sensor attached to your caravan see about 10-15% more trees instead of sky?

I didn’t think of the diffuse nature of the sensor. That would make sense on why it is a lower value. Maybe I should take it up and hold it beside my other one and see what happens. It is sunny now so I may do that.

I moved the “Mobile” station to the side yard where it is farther from any trees and has a similar view of the sky as the roof mounted SKY. The top is within a foot of the same height that it was on the RV so the house roof is unlikely having an impact on the reading. I may leave it there or a couple of days and see what happens. I may have to swap locations to rule out view of the sky as the reason.
Screenshot_20180903-170450

definitively a case to calibrate according me

not sure @dsj David can keep up with all the stations that came live the last 2 weeks :wink:

My values seems fine except the Brightness/Lux… can it be calibrated?

What is wrong with those values ?

Here is one of mine with a little more light remaining … values are close to yours

2 Likes

You should supply data as to why you think they are wrong.

2 Likes

Sorry. I stand corrected.

I think I have mixed up the lux values with something else. :hushed:

1 Like

Well, I decided to mount my two stations right near each other while I’m not RVing somewhere so I bought an eight foot vinyl wrapped closet hanger pole and another chimney mount and mounted both SKYs to my chimney. The E Kelso one (5075) is mounted on the taller pole, ~2’ above the Mobile one (5080) mounted on the shorter pole. The closest trees are shown in this picture of them. Below are two screen grabs of both stations after the brightness levels had stabilized.
20180907_185320
WeatherFlow%20SKY%20units%20discrepancy
WeatherFlow%20SKY%20units%20discrepancy-2
This seems like a calibration issue.

David @dsj, if you want to do some beta/alpha testing on these two stations feel free. I’ll let you know when Mobile (5080) gets moved so you know what data to compare, if that helps.

David

PS. the two AIR units are at the same level right beside each other on the front wall of my house.

2 Likes

Mine seems to read a little bit high as well. Today’s official reading was 3 sky reported 9 :joy:

1 Like

As a reminder, the WF auto-calibration / applied machine learning system has only been deployed for temp and humidity as of early Sept. Other parameters are in testing and will be released once in reliable state. This includes UV.

4 Likes