Using CoCoRAHs Rain Gauge Data For Calibrations

I think it would be a cool option for the app is the option of either using RainCheck or to send in CoCoRAHS rain gauge readings to WF for haptic rain sensor calibration. I know you can send them through a spreadsheet but doing it through the app would be better IMO. I’ve heard that RainCheck has cause some haptic sensors to perform worse than before RainCheck calibration. So, if RainCheck doesn’t perform well for some, I think the option of cutting it off but still give the WF team the ability to calibrate the gauge with only using CoCoRAHS gauge data would be awesome.

You just gave me a great idea, actually. When I submit the corrections I’m include my cocorahs if in the notes.

1 Like

the problem there is CoCoRAHS wants 7am-7am local time for their days, if at all possible, and WF works on a midnight-to-midnight day basis…

True but folks can work through that if they are apart of CoCoRaHS. They could also use a Davis tipping spoon gauge or a Rainwise Rainew 111 rain gauge.

Oh, I know. My corrections are done at 7am because midnight straight up isn’t happening. Most days 7am is accurate to midnight in terms of rainfall measured as we don’t see overnight storms crash often. A few nights ago, however, we did have one that rolled through at 1135pm and finished 40-something minutes later. That report combined two days but there really isn’t anything I could do about it.

1 Like

I’ve been reporting my 7-7 CoCoRaHS readings for quite a while and WF can still use it for calibrations.

1 Like

weatherflow has rain by the minute (or 5 minutes), so for calibration purposes they can easily calculate the 7-7 amount to compare it with your own measurements.

2 Likes

For those who think my proposal is a good idea, please vote!

1 Like

If only I had some more votes…

2 Likes

This would be nice if accurate data could be provided. I have CoCoRaHS gage that I have used to check the Sky. The issue is to read and empty at midnight.

The best solution is a very accurate tipping bucket.

But then again, the is a consumer product and priced as such. It’s never going to be the solution for those that want a professional product.

2 Likes

Valid point but I do think a valid goal is that the haptic sensor reports within specs.

1 Like

I agree. There has to be some resemblance of accuracy.

1 Like

I have used the Google docs page since they introduced it and I can not see where it has improved the rainfall totals even after Rain Check at least for myself, I have included tipping bucket and CoCoRAHS data most of time in 12 12 time
I love the concept of no moving parts. If you want your local rainfall totals you need a tipping bucket or the Co Co RAHS gauge, I would love to see a stand alone tipping bucket added to WF product line this would give them a very acurite rainfall total to calibrate site by site with no or very little manual intervention, do something like they do with Lighting detection. Rain check is not calibration it is rainfall total correction in my opinion

3 Likes

Oh wow. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

And it’s brutally incorrect ‘correction’ for my site FWIW.

1 Like

Same for me I do not know where they get the totals but it not from any of my other reported sources only time it is correct is when I am messing with my mounting or hardware and or run into pole with lawn mower :beer: and have false rain then RC zeros it out

The immediate effect of raincheck is an adjustment of the accumulated rain (in the hours just after midnight), but I think they claimed that Raincheck is also used to calibrate your Sky/tempest.