UDP communications failure

I have a PC based app (Win10) to monitor the Tempest using UDP communications on port 50222. It had been working fine; I took several weeks off, now it no longer works. Specifically, I get nothing from port 50222 - it just times out - continuously. I’m aware UDP is a lossy protocol, but this is completely dead. The Tempest still communicates just fine with the Weatherflow app, and, I can get data using the REST interface, so it would seem this is something local. Perhaps some setting has changed on the wireless router that blocks or disables the port?? I’m afraid I’m not great on that level of networking details, so I’m open to ideas and suggestions. (Yes, I’ve rebooted both the Tempest hub and the router.)

there is a nice program on android called “TCP/UDP test”. you might give it a try in order to find out what is going on.

Did you add an inbound rule to open port 50222/UDP on the Windows 10 Defender Firewall?

2 Likes

WireShark is useful for UDP traffic also.
I have WireShark on a Win10 PC and can confirm it will pick up UDP traffic.

What do you mean by “it tines out?”

I’ve had this too. Sometimes Windows decides to reset or ignore the firewall rules, especially after a system update.

1 Like

Kudos to mircolino, you nailed it. I’m actually using Avast, but same deal, once I set up an input exception for port 50222 everything worked just fine again. THANKS!

1 Like

About the time the new purple background color was pushed on the phone app, the UDP communications on my PC app stopped working. I’ve rebooted the wireless router and the Tempest hub; verified the UDP port is allowed through the Avast firewall; and, confirmed that I can ping the URL via command prompt. I don’t know that the update caused my problem, but the timing makes me wonder if either a change occurred in the UDP communications, or, there’s something else I need to reset. Any thoughts would be most welcome. My software app has been stable for over a year and there were no recent changes to that code.

Okay, this failure to communicate via UDP was, once again, an anti-virus issue. Somehow, in Avast, the wireless network the station is connected to, lost its, “TRUSTED,” status. Once I told Avast the network was trusted, everything worked.

4 Likes

Like others here, after a break I tried running my code to monitor the UDP network and no messages at all appeared. Following suggests here, I checked my router and could find nothing that would block UDP message - no firewall, no custom security. I reset the router and now UDP message appear!

1 Like

The last issue I had was with my Avast anti-virus. It has a setting for, “trusted,” network versus non-trusted. The UDP works only if the network is, “trusted.” On the off chance that you’re using Avast, this setting can be found under, “Protection / Firewall / Networks.” Click on, “Show Setting,” and select, “I trust this network.”

Sorry I can’t help more with the diagnostics - my networking skills are very limited.