UDP Accumulated Rain Field 11 = Null?

I’ve been struggling to get Weather-Display (WD) to reliably capture rain readings from SKY. The hub is reporting directly to Weather Underground in parallel with being accessed via UDP by WD . Wind, Temp, Pressure, all look fine. Only the rain readings appear off and what the hub uploads to WU is different that what is being read over UDP by WD. I’ve been working Brian over at Weather Display and he is throwing his hands up and pointed finger back at the hub. Does anyone know why field 11 would show null even though field 3 shows rain? Below are some captured readings.

First file update
{“serial_number”:“SK-00005971”,“type”:“obs_sky”,“hub_sn”:“HB-00001940”,“obs”:[[1517004844,null,0.00,0.015,1.12,1.49,2.19,272,2.79,1,105,null]],“firmware_revision”:26}

Second file update
{“serial_number”:“SK-00005971”,“type”:“obs_sky”,“hub_sn”:“HB-00001940”,“obs”:[[1517005083,null,0.00,0.011,0.89,1.62,2.19,292,2.79,1,78,null]],“firmware_revision”:26}

Third file update
{“serial_number”:“SK-00005971”,“type”:“obs_sky”,“hub_sn”:“HB-00001940”,“obs”:[[1517005263,null,0.00,0.016,1.52,2.43,3.53,258,2.79,1,72,null]],“firmware_revision”:26}

Observation (Sky) [type = obs_sky]
Observation Value Layout
Index Field Units
0 Time Epoch Seconds
1 Illuminance Lux
2 UV Index
3 Rain Accumulated mm
4 Wind Lull (minimum 3 second sample) m/s
5 Wind Avg (average over report interval) m/s
6 Wind Gust (maximum 3 second sample) m/s
7 Wind Direction Degrees
8 Battery Volts
9 Report Interval Minutes
10 Solar Radiation W/m^2
11 Local Day Rain Accumulation mm

2 Likes

Yes. Field 11 is calculated at WeatherFlow so it’s only available via websocket.

Field 3 is the 60 second accumulation of rain.

I asked about this in December.

6 Likes

Thanks Gary. I need to work that search better :slight_smile:

1 Like

interesting
WD’s cronweatherflow does handle web socket data as well as direct HTTP data
anyway,I have put up a new update where it will try and get the data from the HTTP API data

1 Like

I see that you have not entered a station ID for use with cronweatherflow
so that means it can not get the api data from the weatherflow servers
(which has the data position 11 data)
that is the problem

1 Like

good catch. i make the mistake earlier of using the local station id “name” (per local application) and not the actual station id “number.” thanks

1 Like

still, I think its will be better if I get the UDP rain data to work
otherwise if your internet connection goes down , then the rain would not update in WD
see my latest reply on the WD forum and a new cronweatherflow version to test
I will test that version here too…we are about to get rain here today

1 Like

The UDP data does work. Field index 11 will always be Null in UDP as the neither the Hub or Sky keep accumulation totals.

1 Like

yup, just needing to test I have my code working correctly
rain about to hit herecute

1 Like

another question
the data #11 , from the api data, the total rain, I assume that will only update with new data every minute as well?

1 Like

That is correct. Field index 3 would be received from the Hub and added to Field Index 11 then available over websocket or REST.

1 Like

ok, then I summised correctly
so the fastest you can get rain data is only every minute

its started raining here…light rain mostly…
been 1 mm over patchy light rain
but my SKY unit has not picked that up…yet (nor has the app)
will keep monitoring…I think last time it started to rain here, lightly at first, it took the SKY/hub a while to go, hey, you know what, I think that really was rain

1 Like

rain started here again now
and now my SKY is picking it up
and my method of totaling the data #3 from the UDP data is working :slight_smile:

1 Like

and its better to be using the UDP data as you get the data faster :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the station Hub is on the local network, UDP is the most efficient way to receive the data. There is no guarantee that no packet will be lost but it’s pretty much 99.99% assured you will see each one.

1 Like

just as aside
re the rain radar image I posted above of the intense rain vortex low
the main thunderstorm area just missed us
but where it did hit, just up the coastline, 50mm (2 inches) in 1 hour fell, which caused flash flooding (steeply wooded hills) and 2 trampers were washed away to their deaths trying to cross a swollen stream :frowning:

1 Like

Very sorry to hear about the loss of life. So important to take all warnings seriously.

I’ve now had Brian’s update on Weather-Display running for about a day and the update is reliably tracking WeatherFlow reported rain amounts. However, SKY is not able to recognize misting rain when there is a good breeze (~10-15mph/20-25mph gusts). Since midnight (~ 9 hours), we’ve had about 0.15" of rain, but SKY is reporting 0.0" through WeatherFlow. The percip has fallen mostly as mist at 100% humidity. Looks like the algorithm on SKY to recognize rain still needs some more work. -joe

1 Like

yes, I have had misty rain missed too (amounted to a few mm over an hour)
i,e so the sensitivity might be set a bit too low

my latest rain was picked up perfectly though shower of 3mm overnight) :slight_smile:

1 Like

had torrential rain here
20mm in 40 minutes
as recorded by my davis station
by my SKY only recorded 2mm

1 Like

Are you getting rain_debug UDP packets?

Save the data during the known rain period and let @dsj know. Maybe he can see why the data did not record as rain.

1 Like