Trend on temperature like on pressure?

just do what works for you no offense meant just talking…

1 Like

No one has taken offense so I don’t know why your thoughts led you in that direction. We are having an open discussion to try and establish grounds for a temperature trend.

All comments and anecdotal evidence are greatly welcome.

2 Likes

Definitely! I’d like to hear from all developers and everyone else that has experience.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to open such a can of worms… I thought the answer would be simple!

Nothing about weather is simple.

Search Google or and search engine for “temperature trend” and you’ll find very little useful information. It seems no one has a good answer for various and some obvious reasons.

ok good so lloking at your code

5c rise in 60 minutes triggers rising but lets say that 5c rise happens in 30 minuttes then the trend of rising isnt registered or displayed until the hour ago has passed. just an observation i see no harm in shortening the trend period if your sensor is responsive to rapid changes.

me personaaly have become accustomed to looking for shifts in shorter timeframes particularly not so much temperatures but humidity has ithe eye is constantly monitoring the dewpoint during cold periods and hot periods .

for me shorter timeframe is more beneficial but im sure others have there preffered method.

The key word is “trend.” A trend is what generally happens over long period of time. A sudden jump is not a trend especially when it can change direction with an offset of zero.

Use pressure for example. It is over a three hour period, yet the pressure is measured every 60 seconds.

I use one hour to establish the trend but as I stated earlier, that may need to be changes to 90 minutes.

the other point i wanted to highlight is if i use the app and my extra air sensor for indoor temps where the shifts of temperature are smaller and useful for monitoring effectiveness of new air conditioner i would like to see the small shifts of temperature highlightd at a glance i.e using a trend arrow .

i already do this with existing harware but having that on the weatherflow app would be of great benefit.

ive switched it to F so you can see how i use for indoor

Trends are a great tool but people will use their data in different ways and therefore calculating a specific trend for temperature in particular might not be beneficial from one person to the next. To put things into perspective, we observed falling and subsequent rising of temperature by a few degrees or some flat-lining ‘trends’ over 15 minutes during the Great North American Eclipse. 30 or 60 minute trend intervals would completely miss that event. It would be critical to cater a temperature trend readout to the individual’s needs in my opinion.

2 Likes

I guess some are having trouble defining “long period of time”…or they don’t agree that your 60, or maybe changed to 90 min is the gold standard. Why don’t you just let it go?

Yes!. That’s very useful, especially in Home Automation, where you want the temperature to remain stable. We are able to control our internal environment and such reporting is extremely valuable. We want the internal temperature to have a net gain/loss of less than 1 so the trend should remain flat.

We are having a discussion. Do you have an issue with that or do you just like to troll my posts?

not quiite a total eclipse here right now but a very beautiful lunar eclipse ive been watching for last three hours but your totally right different needs different requirements etc , there is nothing wrong with 60 minutes just i would find shorter shifts of temperature,humidity etc more beneficial and bei g able to glance at that and get a quick reference

And thus, that is probably why meteorologists have never decided on a universal temperature trend.

I have an issue with your arguing that a trend is change over a certain time frame when it’s totally arbitrary.
As to trolling your posts. I check this forum often and you just seem to be in the middle of “discussions” like this. I simply don’t agree and I can give my opinion. Correct?

You haven’t given your opinion on the subject. Only your opinion that you don’t like my opinions.

Finally, we agree on something.

2 Likes

there is nowt wrong with 60 minute timeframe but as i said if you have a responsive sensor you can monitor and highlight the shifts in shorter timeframes. for me the shorter periods are more beneficial for my needs indoors and outdoors …

And I agree totally with you on this point.

Good debate
I have been at a conference all day, so have not been able to contribute

1 Like