[HW] Tipping bucket device

I think an accurate tipper or whatever along with using the haptic as a rain alert/intensity sensor would do wonders.

3 Likes

And BTW: I saw somewhere on this forum that someone posted that WF is indeed working on a separate rain gauge but now I canā€™t find it. Any more info? @dsj @tony.mcgee

1 Like

I wonā€™t be too greedy, one will do unless the FT unit qualifies for an aux power rescue :-).

I only want one or two or ten.

2 Likes

A tipping device is on the road map, somewhere itā€™ll show itā€™s nose (I have no ETA) as an extra. Iā€™d be ok with 2 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Methinks there will be a very long queue for these!

2 Likes

I would be happy with a simple WF controller that fits inside a wired 8-inch Rainwise RAINEW 111 tipping bucket. Thereā€™s plenty of space inside, they retail for $72.95, and have a good reputation for accuracy. If it also has relay terminals for an optional heater, Iā€™d pay twice as muchā€¦

3 Likes

I hope itā€™s soon. Lol. I think they should be able to produce a tipper thatā€™s accurate like the Davis tipping spoon and the Rainwise 111 gauge.

Lets make sure itā€™s really accurate and has a very good and simple adjustment system seamless software integration and use all the advantages that the present system avails to us.

That should be easy to do for $500.

Sounds like your talking about Govt contracting, no need to make one if your going to throw a cheap piece of crap out there. The software engineering is definitely the largest cost, and I think should include the advantage of first rain drop not just a toggle on which system you use

Let me ask. What software engineering is involved in a tipping bucket.

To me the cost is in the hardware. The bucket should be 4 inches. The bucket needs to be very smooth. It needs to be calibrated. The material must handle temperatures from -40 to 120 F. It must have an optional heater that will keep the intake warm enough without causing evaporation. I must be easy to clean. And there has to be hardware to allow the bucket to communicate bidirectional to the Hub.

3 Likes

Heater is an optional extra. Davis is well known to be over priced for parts and options so the ā€œrealā€ cost by any other manufacturer should be a lot less.

1 Like

Software engineering would be mostly be integration into user interface WF servers,maybe a good set of instructions for install and calibration ? Sounds like the same material they are already using now without the bubbled coating ? Must have / Optional?. Communication Card of course bidirectional necessary? . Probably biggest Hardware cost would be power, solar,battery? Unless they just use Lithium Energizers My ones in air are 2yrs old and still 2.55v

I was not talking about a Jaguar, I was thinking maybe a Buick

The Davis tipping spoon rain gauge offers very good accuracy and is cheaper than the RainWise RainNew 111 gauge. The RW gauge has the best canister IMO.

I wonder would a weighing gauge be a good option?

Not to turn this into a ā€œmy rain gauge is bigger than your rain gaugeā€ thread, :rofl: but the Rainwise 111 is an 8" gauge with a good reputation and a standard two-pin header connector on the end of the interface cable. Give me two header pins out of the side of a salvaged Air and five minutes to add a debounced counter to the firmware, and I could be shipping them in a week. I already have it running here with an ESP32 and wifi into WeeWX. Iā€™m still tinkering with the ESP32ā€™s deep sleep mode, to make it run for years on a small batteryā€¦

5 Likes

Software is the simple part. Itā€™s simply a tip_event.

Bidirectional yes, it has to be told when to turn the optional heater on and off.

Or old friend, Dan, had a tipping bucket. He ran a pair from the bucket to the RPi that ran ArchiveSW. It recorded each tip and logged it to a table.

Thatā€™s one way. The Tempest is all about wireless. A lot more hardware engineering required.

There is a strong indication WeatherFlow will produce a tipping bucket. Do we need a Feature Request that will use one of the five votes?

2 Likes

yes until itā€™s committed

2 Likes