I’ve already submitted this to customer support, but just in case there’s more information someone here can provide and/or there’s something I haven’t tried yet, I’ll post the info here.
I just put my Tempest up about a week ago. The first two days were pretty “rocky”. I would occasionally get one or more sensor failures, and occasionally it would stop sending updates. Each time, I was able to recover by rebooting the Tempest (which is not an easy task given it’s mounted on a pole up on my roof). I probably rebooted the Tempest at least 8 times in the first two days. RSSI between tempest and hub is good (typically between -45 and -50). RSSI between hub and wifi is good (typically between -50 annd -58). Battery level is good (hasn’t gone below 2.6V yet).
After about 2 days everything seemed to settle down. I don’t know if some (or all?) of that was due to sensor calibrations or what. Note that it might be good to note somewhere in the quickstart guide or somewhere else about these calibrations. I had no idea it did this until I started looking at forum posts.
Anyway, I finally had about a 36 hour period of no issues. Then I started getting a bunch of spikes in solar radiation. It was spiking to values as high as 50,000W/m2 (not a typo!), and this was happening between about 3am and 9am. I rebooted the Tempest and it seemed to be fine for a little while, but then it started reporting a UV sensor failure. This time no amount of rebooting the Tempest could fix it.
I tried the hub radio reset (didn’t expect this to help, but it was easier to try than going back up on the roof).
Then I tried following the directions in the troubleshooting guide to re-pair the tempest to the hub. My results didn’t quite match the directions, and didn’t resolve the issue. Here’s what I did and the results:
- hold clear button on tempest until it started flashing
- directions say after that it should flash green, but mine flashed red
- I went into manage devices and clicked “+” to add. It found the tempest but said it was paired to another station and that I should delete it first.
I didn’t want to delete it, because I didn’t know what consequences that might have (and now reading the forum, I see that it’s probably good that I didn’t delete it). But it seems just the act of going in to add station re-paired to the hub and it started getting observation updates. But the UV sensor still reports a failure. I did this sequence twice with the same results each time.
It’s generally been running fine for the past several days, with the exception of the UV sensor. I’ve tried rebooting the Tempest once or twice a day to see if the sensor would eventually recover, but so far it hasn’t.