Tempest Ultrasonic Wind Sensor Wind Spike

Noticed a random wind spike of 25mph earlier today. Will note that all nearby reporting stations (Davis & USCRN) recorded PWGs of 9-14mphso far today. Curious to what’s up? Critters?

I got one of those yesterday - spike to 30 mph when no way that was true. See them occasionally.

1 Like

Wonder what causes them?

Assuming it’s not a glitch, it could be anything that changes the distance between the sonic transducers and the reflecting plate. Critters is probably most likely.

2 Likes

This is the first time so I’m assuming it’s the critters. There is a wasp that will fly near the station. Is there a way that @WFsupport can do to have the system to reject false wind spikes?

Define the parameters of a fslse wind spike.

I guess I would define it in this instance as a random spike in wind gusts but the overall pattern wouldn’t support it. I know that isn’t a good definite definition and that definition isn’t always true. But I could verify that this was a false wind gust due to reports from properly sited surrounding stations.

You also have to understand that the Tempest will detect micro wind bursts that a cup sensor can’t.

Gotcha. It could be just fine then. I don’t know. But the Tempest is high up in the air. It is a hilly area where the Tempest is located.

That would account for some micro bursts. I live at the base of the Rocky Mountains and see it quite often.

3 Likes

I see spikes after heavy rain. Seems water droplets are getting between the plates and impacting the sonic anemometer. As soon as water evaporates… wind speeds return to being accurate.