Tempest station physically disconnected from base in storm - BLEW AWAY

I left for Florida in late November, and realized during that time that i stopped receiving data from the station. Last readings were during a wicked storm we had here in Long Island on 11/30.

I came home from FL this weekend to realize that my Tempest station is gone. It came off the twist base and is lost. I have my station mounted to a piling on my dock and it must have shifted on it’s base and disconnected - falling into the water.

Really kind of bummed. I reached out via WeatherFlow Support to figure out how to get another station - but in the future I’m using some good waterproof tape to secure the station to base to alleviate shifting/twisting.

1 Like

Or mother nature stole it.

Pole mount…

It still can be twisted off that way too!
Maybe a better way would be to glue it down. Flow some CA around the parts. Of course those two parts are essentially permanently attached to one another. But it beats losing it forever.

Note the precip rate and amount as well. It was definitely picking up vibrations from the piling. A ten foot mast will sway gently and not be so prone to those oscillations.

My station is just 1 month old and in my initial setup I needed to put rubber gloves on to gets good enough grip to twist the sections apart. I’m shocked the weather could separate the 2 pieces. Maybe something hit it? Maybe someone tampered with it?

Most likely it was not fully locked into place. At first when I moved mine from a temporary mount I twisted it off the base part instead of the compression nut piece. I made sure it was completely twisted on after that and wasn’t able to (easily) remove it like you said, needing gloves. The unit doesn’t have much drag so even in crazy winds it shouldn’t detach easily. My remark about permanent (CA (superglue)) should ONLY be used as a last resort like if it were at the top of a mountain. :smile:

Thanks for your replies. Just a few comments…

1. It was mounted on a 3-foot pole - it does not sway.
  2. Vibrations causing increased rain counts are probably from waves hitting the pilings (40mph gusts)
  3. Base was screwed on correctly, the polygon shape clearly shows when station is aligned & tightened correctly with the base.
  4. Station is mounted high enough to be only accessible by a ladder and is out on a dock far away from anything than can hit it.
  5. I think a strong tape around the base and station would be sufficient to hold it better than a permanent super glue.
1 Like

Do you recall how much effort was required to snap the 2 pieces together? I and another person that responded in this thread needed to wear rubber gloves and I had to use enough force that I was worried it would damage the unit with how hard I was forcing it. At first I was wondering if there was some lock/latch preventing it from twisting. There was no way it was accidentally getting unscrewed.

Maybe there’s enough of a variance that your unit wasn’t as tight as mine or it loosens over time from being opened/closed if that was even your situation. Otherwise, I can’t imagine how it might have been twisted, based on my unit.

That’s the problem (the: vibration).
A short mast in winds will move tiny amounts at high frequency and this will trigger false readings. A taller mast is needed which sways back and forth. Mine is on a tower with 17’ out the apex. The mast is 1 1/4” galvanized SCH80 water pipe. It weighs 70 pounds (full 21’ section). It’s very strong and due to its unspanned length above the holding point it sways at the top in heavy winds. With confirmed 50mph gusts I have zero (false) precip readings.

Now firework mortars on New Year’s DID register! The shells exploded about 1/2 km from the tempest unit and their shockwaves were enough to trigger moderate rain!

Went out with a ladder to inspect the base today, and it seems that the twist base had a structural failure. The four plastic points inside the twist base broke and the twist part stayed on the station as it disconnected. I managed to locate the Station in the water. Here are the pics. It didn’t untwist, it just broke. This station is mounted 50+ feet away from land at the end of a dock - nothing could have hit it out there…

3 Likes

Wow! I wonder if after cleaning it off the Tempest will work again. I’d wash it off as much as possible and let it sit inside where it is dry for a few days, possibly where it can see some sun.

1 Like

Have you opened a support ticket on this yet???

1 Like

Maybe, but Weatherflow has a history of people vandalizing their weather stations. I helped replace one at the local lake a few years ago that was hit by large rocks and our nearby ocean station just took a recent hit too. You might clean it up and look for an impact point.

Hi J, that could be purely a pole mount failure. Give it a good bath with a hose and reach out to our customer support team. We’ll get you a new unit.

4 Likes

Salt water will degrade every electrical connection in that thing. No way it will work. Especially not after being submerged for over a month.

Yes. Working with WF now.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the assitance. I have a ticket opened and sent in pics.

still worth a try as a lot of the electronics is completely covered in some resin. I wouldn’t expect it to work, but I would definitely try.

1 Like

Ok. I cleaned it up and a bunch of baby fish and crabs came out of it. No idea how many are still in there. It was becoming an artificial reef.

I’ll let it dry out for a few days and put it back out into the sun to see if it can charge and connect to hub. Stay tuned.

9 Likes

That’s actually really amazing (the critters that were inside!). :smile:
Glad to hear they are replacing it.

Pretty sure no one vandalized it during a strong N’oreaster. I live in a pretty remote area, and also have cameras on the property, if someone walked to the dock, it would have been recorded and I would have been notified.