Tempest Rachio Integration

Decided to take the leap of faith and back the Tempest on Indiegogo. One of the bigger reasons was the apparent ability to integrate with Rachio. Curious if there are any details about how this might work?
Api, app integration, etc.
If it’s too early to know that’s fine.

1 Like

It will require either a third party application or for Rachio to integrate the UDP packets.

If you can set up a Raspberry Pi then there are several of us that can help you with integration.

Hmm, I wonder why they mentioned it in the campaign if they were not going to make it work out of the box so to speak.
And yea, I have deep technical skills to but just now getting into home automation so help would be great or links etc.

1 Like

IFTTT has a WeatherFlow applet that connects with Rachio, but I have not verified it works.

I use other IFTTT applets (temperature alerts) with my WeatherFlow stations and they work great.

More IFTTT with WeatherFlow:

1 Like

Ah nice. Didn’t even think to look there, and that’s exactly what i need, nothing too fancy.

1 Like

You can also connect your station to Weather Underground, then link your Rachio to the PWS in WU.

1 Like

It can be done, exactly how @pswired described. Our Rachio V3 is using our Tempest as the source for its weather data, which is exactly what we wanted it to do.

Guessing I need the v3 as my v2 is not letting me pick it.

1 Like

@MiamiWX, do you know if the R3e the same as the version 3 when it comes to compatibility with the Tempest? Hey, looking to save money where I can. Thanks!

I honestly don’t know, but I found this post for you which may help you to decide…

The link for the whole conversation is here: https://community.rachio.com/t/rachio-3-vs-3e-comparison/22601/3

@mediocer_tempest I too have v2 and have setup WU for my Tempest, but from the Rachio app I’m not seeing my WU station listed. When I click on the ? in the top right, the details listed there don’t even mention WU. Instead they talk about PWSWeather.com & WeatherForYou.com. I jumped on the Tempest campaign as well because it stated it would work as the weather station for the Rachio controller. Hopefully someone at WeatherFlow can chime in and provide details on how to configure a v2 Rachio to work with Tempest or at least confirm that a v3 Rachio controller is required. Somewhere I read that Rachio 3 actually doesn’t recommend using a local weather station due to it’s Weather Intelligence Plus feature.

From the Rachio forums, someone was able to integrate my tempest to PWS and can now use it correctly.

@mediocer_tempest do you happen to have the link to the forum article that shares how it was accomplished? If not, do have any specific details on how it was configured to work using Rachio v2? Thanks.

Here you go.
@Gene is the person that helped me!

@mediocer_tempest Thanks for the link.

Gene helped me as well to get on to PWS so that my Orbit Bhyve sprinkler could use my weather station

1 Like

It’s simple to setup the Rachio and use the Weather Intelligence function by picking a local PWS, but as a few have said, that functionality doesn’t seem to exist for us Gen-2’ers. Sucks because IFTT needs a subscription to do anything complicated other than just a skip when it rains (doesn’t let you set how much). Oh well. No need to replace my Gen-2 long as it works otherwise.

Hi everyone! :wave:

WeatherFlow-Tempest and Rachio currently integrate in two ways, through IFTTT and the WU PWS network using Rachio’s Weather Intelligence platform.

Integrating is super quick and easy, see more details and instructions here: https://help.weatherflow.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408561478299-Rachio-Smart-Sprinkler-Controller

Even Gen 1 and Gen 2 Rachio controller users will have the capability to integrate the two systems

Happy watering :sweat_drops:

2 Likes