Tempest mounting question (bottom frame of a garden)

My Tempest will be arriving in the next week or two. This is my first weather station and have a few quick questions.

1. I’ve read that the tempest doesn’t have to be that high off the ground compared to other weather stations. is this true?
  2. I would like to mount my Tempest to the frame of my garden in the back corner of my house ( 6"x6"x8’ non-treated timbers). I attached a pic. Any suggestions on how to do this? I’ve read through https://help.weatherflow.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047672153-Example-Installations

I’m thinking of using a 5-7ft PVC pipe at Home Depot. I’d like to avoid digging a hole and using cement with a metal pole. Any good suggestions on how I could attach the PVC pipe with the tempest to the wood around my garden?

You can use a flange and then attach a galvanized pipe to it in the length you feel fits your needs.

Here’s a link for the flange:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LDR-Industries-1-in-Galvanized-Iron-Floor-Flange-311-F-1/100537306

Here’s a link for a five foot galvanized pipe:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-1-in-x-60-in-Galvanized-Steel-Pipe-565-600HC/100158263

Garden Tempest

Not quite I would say. The higher you mount you Tempest, the more “accurate” your wind readings will be in comparison to official observations (like those from airports etc.), as they will often observe the wind at the standardised height of 10 m.

That being said, if you can’t mount your Sky that high that’s fine. It will still work perfectly OK and will measure a more localised wind speed that is applicable to your garden. This is not a problem and you shouldn’t be worried about it

2 Likes

To add to Peter’s comments, also look around where you want to install the Tempest. You’ll have to find a sweet spot and maybe compromise a bit

It has to be as open as possible to allow wind, sun to reach the sensors (shadows from trees, walls …)
Also try to avoid installing it to close to walls etc as those can radiate heat and influence temperature and as last not too close to plants etc as that can influence on humidity.

As said, most probably no way to find the ‘ideal’ spot like most of us so try to investigate what is most important for you, take time to look the eventual spots over daytime to see if shadows etc will come to play etc …

Regarding fixing I’d go for a mount like the image and also fill the pvc with white sand (this dampens eventual vibration coming from the wooden beams that can provoke false rain)

For sure you’ll find other ideas in this topic

2 Likes

Great suggestions! @eric that base may be a bit too wide, not sure, where did u find that pic? Home Depot? @MiamiWX thanks for the links. That might be perfect (and if I fill the poll with sand as suggested).

The photo is in the SE corner of my lot. I would say it gets at least 10+ hours of sun during the summertime as my house doesn’t start shading that area until late late afternoon.

I would need to make sure I get a wifi signal that far out in my yard, correct? Or does the hub need to be close to my wifi access point only?

I can’t really offer shops where to buy for you as I’m the other side of the wide ocean and we don’t share the same shops :slight_smile:
I used simple ‘pole base mount’ in a search engine … you get many return. Just find the one that suits you and a decent price point.

1 Like

Correct, only the hub needs to be in WiFi range. The hub doesn’t use WiFi to communicate with Tempest

1 Like

I have my two 5ft galvanized steel pipes up. My unit arrives today.
My question is, do you see any reason to fill the poll with sand? Or is that not necessary?

If you get false rain from vibrations then you might fill the pole with sand.

1 Like