Tempest lightning ground clutter šŸŒ©

TEMPEST vs AIR - LIGHTING COUNT DISCREPANCIES

DISCUSSIONS
My experience in lightning detection both in the IR, Visual spectrum vs the overall broadband radiation it produces is that there are multiple discharges from what we see as a ā€˜singleā€™ stoke. Even our sensitive films taken in High Speed back in 1977 at T.R.I.P. [Thunderstorm Research International Project) in Socorro, NM revealed that even the 'Step-Leader" radiates itā€™s own distinctive EMI bursts in almost all bands of the Electromagnetic Radiation spectrum.

For one discharge, there are literally dozens of Pre Events going on in the Cells, micro events all radiating its own signature.

SLOW BUILD UP and CHAINING of CELLS
So what we ā€˜seeā€™ as a single Visible ā€˜Returnā€™ strike, is in all actuality, multiple cloud Cells discharging to make one one big CtoG event, preceded with a step-leader [2 meters from the ground] signature [blue] - then the massive [white] 1 second or so Plasma burst from ground to the cloud. Usually there are about 3-5 such independent discharges at the same point.
Which means, the tempest is actually detecting all these multiple micro-second events.
SEE: Dr.'s R. Orville, V. Idone at ASRC, Albany, NY c 1977

OPTICAL TRIGGERING DEVICE TO CONTROL CAMERA SHUTTER
In solving this problem, I used an optical detection method to trigger the cameraā€™s. Using a simple IR Diode emitter, but connected to a Low Noise High Speed Op-amp as a receiver, it detected the narrow band IR at ~ the precise moment the ā€œReturn Stokeā€ began, not the pre C2C setups.

We used this simple and basic principle in 1980 from the Space shuttle Columbia to discern false strikes in orbit. SEE Dr. Vonnegut-Weed, First Space Shuttle Experiment, SUNNY, Albany, NY 1979-80, ASRC, 1978.

THE ORIGINAL DETECTOR
Using a small 1 inch solar cell from Radio Shack, we connected it to a step up audio transformer and fed the signal to a tape recorder.
Later [see thread] I developed a small hand held device the size of a pencil with an infrared emitter [ confiscated from my remote control], connected to a pulse transformer with a 1k to 10K ratio to a small ear phone. - totally blew us away. We tested it out with a strobe light miles away and worked perfectlyā€¦
lightning bands

SUMMARY
The Tempest system can be easily modified with an additional optical pulse sensor to compare with the Magnetic data.
Or simply build your own ā€˜pencilā€™ detector and carry it on the golf course or lake.

No battery needed.

The final device used a small piezoelectric clicker.connected to the 10k ohm output of the pulse transformer. During severe storms it sounded like a Geiger counter.

[See full tread]

Happy clicking!

-GW

1 Like

I went around with an AM radio. Only interference i found was my new digital smart electric 5g meter we have now on long island. I have a shield on it but not sure that does anything. I believe many people in the future will have problems like i do with the lightning sensor.

I didnā€™t want this meter we were automatically converted over one day when i came home from work.

attached article . Anyone with this meter may have a lightning interference problem. Id really like to see the relationship between these new 5G meters and how they affect lightning sensors.
I bought the 5g RF shield but dont really have a meter to test.

Let me know interesting article

if you meter was installed at the time the false lightning problem first appeared and you can even hear it on an AM radio, yeah than this might be the problem. Does it communicate using 5G or through a signal that goes through the wires? if it uses 5G than shielding it (put it in aluminum foil is a good start) might disrupt the function.

With respect to your articleā€¦ā€œWHO expresses that ā€œcountless investigations have been performed in the course of the most recent two decades to survey whether cell phones represent a potential wellbeing hazard. Until this point in time, no unfriendly wellbeing impacts have been built up as being brought about by cell phone use. WHO will lead a formal hazard appraisal of all considered wellbeing results from radiofrequency fieldā€™s introduction by 2016ā€ā€
I wouldnā€™t worry about it.

1 Like