Tempest° Hub Power Bank (HPB)

@gizmoev Dave, I am considering getting a Hub Power Bank as well. I am assuming that once the Hubs (3 of them in my case) are plugged into the HPB. . . it would be connected to AC continuously so that it would be ready for any power outage that might occur? I see that it has a 1 amp and a 2 amp USB output. Since I have 3 Hubs that need to remain up at all times…I’d be using a 4-port USB extender that would facilitate my 3 connections.

JL

I haven’t tried a USB hub to split power before so am not sure how well it would work. Until we find out why both my power bank and the one @iladyman has momentarily cut power when the input power to the power bank is cut, you may want to wait on the WF one. You only need a power bank with pass-through charging and you should be good to go. Depending on how long you think you want to run a hub without power you may want more than one. Also, you might want to consider a power splitter from the Raspberry Pi project. There is one which comes with the RPi display which splits the micro-USB end. That would be better than a USB hub for a power splitter.

@gizmoev
Hi again Dave. I have one of these:

F5U018-MOB

Since I have 3 Hub Stations. . .In your “tech-guru” opinion. . do you think I could get by using this with the HBP and plug each of my Hubs into the ports on the BELKIN (F5U018-MOB). . . which would in turn would be plugged into the HPB. . .OR. . . .do you think I would need one HPB per each Hub Station? i.e. would I need 3 HPBs. . . .one for each station?

You mentioned above about the Raspberry Pi project. UNfortunately. . .I only know “Raspberry Pi project” by name only. I do not have such a little console (wish I did though) or the KSAs (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities) to even think about putting that together. I have no programming skills in Python or any other computer language what-so-ever.

I see no reason why that wouldn’t work, but the battery won’t keep it going for 8 days with 3 hubs hanging on it.

1 Like

This is the type of cable I’m talking about: https://www.amazon.com/Female-Splitter-extension-charge-Galaxy/dp/B00ISLNSH0/ref=asc_df_B00ISLNSH0/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482466498860&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=1294125542223135&hvadid=80882933901292&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482466498860&hydadcr=

or maybe this would work: https://www.amazon.com/My-Arcade-Multi-Cable-Splitter-Cabinets/dp/B07V9K9NLG/ref=asc_df_B07V9K9NLG/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795267241492&psc=1

The benefit to a power splitting cable would be that you aren’t having to power the USB hub capabilities you aren’t going to use.

2 Likes

does it only have one usb output? What a shame. People could always use it as a normal power bank. Most of those have multiple output ports for a reason.

It has two outputs as shown in the picture at the top but @storm_tracker wants three outputs.

1 Like

for the hub those splitter cables should be fine. I’m not so sure with phones that try to negotiate with the charger for optimal power delivery.

ok, I missed that picture. 2 is fine.

2 Likes

Although I stated otherwise in a different thread, the HPB does cycle power to the Hub when it loses mains power. This will not result in any loss of data or damage to your Hub - it can be a little healthy for the Hub, in fact.

I believe it’s LCO (lithium cobalt) but I’m waiting for a response from the manufacturer.

1 Like

if that is the case, then something is wrong with the hub. No device should require an occasional reboot. Though admittedly many do. In your case I don’t think it matters too much, however in some situations reconnecting to wifi because of the reboot can be a bit tricky.

Also I think it might even loose data. if you have a power outage, wifi might have gone done, so the hub didn’t have the opportunity to send its buffered data. If it goes through a reboot, because of this power cycle, doesn’t it loose this buffered data? It isn’t a lot of data, and the weather probably didn’t change a lot during that minute :wink:

@gizmoev I re-read your synopsis and examined the images again at the top of this thread. I am expecting to receive the HPB on Monday the 19th. Does it need to remain attached to AC continuously while Hubs are plugged into it or does the USB-A cable connected via the Micro USB Input only need to be attached to the external AC only periodically? i.e. is your HPB constantly connect to the AC power source?

I keep mine connected to AC all the time. It doesn’t have to be connected all the time but note that when the input power is removed the output power will be momentarily interrupted and any hubs connected will reboot. This is intended as a backup power unit so I’m not sure why would want to regularly disconnect input power.

4 Likes

I have noticed this behaviour also.
I can not see how this should be normal operation?

Surely the battery should just kick in and keep the unit operational without a reboot cycle.
If I knew this was the case prior to purchasing, I don’t think I would have bothered paying the £69 to purchase it from the UK.

Would anyone have a tip for a power bank with the same features , like the Hub Power Bank ?
That is, so that the HUB stays powered even after the power bank’s own charging fails.

I’m from Europe, and ordering a Hub Power Bank costs me extra in shipping, duty and VAT, so the price of the original Hub Power Bank ends up being around $100 :frowning:

you need one with passthrough charging. 4 of the best power banks with pass-through charging

4 Likes