Tempest/Hub Connection Issues (Weak Signal)

After having my Tempest working really well for 4 days, this morning i received an OFFLINE alert. I reset the Hub and received a GREEN light. All connection status’ say ONLINE for the hub and station, but my data is not updating.

I also reset the station and received an ONLINE alert once it reconnected to the hub. Data looked to be up-to-date once both devices were reset. Then a few minutes later the data stopped updating.

Any thoughts why I would start getting this issue?

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Sky disconnects and now is lost

Your Tempest seems or to far or behind to many walls regarding the hub
In the details of your station you can see the rssi value and it is around -96 db. This value is too low and radio link is poor to non existing. This value should be somewhere between 0 and -80.

Can you have a look and eventually move Tempest or hub and find a sweet spot where the rssi value is between the values I mentioned ?

Also remember the units get updates, last night most got a firmware update and if that happens, your Tempest is offline for +/- 10 minutes.

Eric, Thanks for the response. The data feed was working fine for the last 4 days from the location i mounted the station at when I installed the unit. I am well within the 1000 feet max, and the hub has line of sight to the station only thru a window (no screen). All of a sudden this morning its not working. If I bring the station into the house and have it 15 feet from the hub, the RSSI reads -61, which seems a bit low for being in the same room.

My father got a Tempest the same day, has his mounted around the same distance as I do and he’s not having issues… In fact, his hub is inside the house in a cabinet and his station RSSI is around -75.

Something definitely changed with the new firmware.

jfischetti : Customer support will reach you with reset instructions soon. Hopefully it will solve your case. They will follow your case till solution from here.

I removed the station and re-added it with no change to the signal issue. I will wait for Customer support to reach out. Thanks.

Hi @jfischetti, just sent a reply. I’ll post generic troubleshooting here in case anyone else is having a similar issue.

It’s not clear whether the Tempest or Hub is the culprit of the weak signal issue. First, try repositioning the Hub slightly. Maybe there’s some interference. To see the RSSI values, open the app, go to settings > stations > choose your station > tap the status row > scroll to find the RSSI values.

If repositioning the Hub doesn’t help the connection, you can try resetting the Hub’s radio.

Hub radio reset

1. Unplug the Hub.
  2. Using a thin tool, push & hold the reset button on the back of the Hub.
  3. Keep the button pressed and plug the hub back in.
  4. Wait for the blue LED on the back of the Hub and then release the button.

The Hub should pick a frequency with the best signal to the connected devices.

See if that helps!

5 Likes

Eric,

I had to bring the station into the house and reset everything - that’s why you saw it on/off line.

I deleted the station and then repaired everything. Here are readings as I had them in the house and as I moved the station away from the base. I’m concerned the station reading in the house is very low for it’s proximity. Starting with a -56 and then moving it away seems it’s a bit handicapped from the start. My mounting pole is only 230 feet from my house - far from the 1000ft max.

It’s staying connected now, but hovering around -90. What would cause the low signal when it’s only 230ft from the hub?

In house:
Hub: -53 (20 feet direct line of sight from mesh router hub)
Station: -56 (10 feet from the Hub — This seems very low)
(if i move the hub just outside the window I will gain an additional 10)

Station (75 feet from hub):

Station (150 feet from hub):

Station (220 feet from hub - at mounting pole):

• 88-91

The signal readings were totally functional at the installation point up until last night when the firmware was updated. All my data points on the graphs had no dropouts up until this morning.

As I noted earlier, my father’s unit is just as far from the hub, and the hub is in a cabinet in the middle of the house. My hub is in a window with line of sight to the station.

2 Likes