Tempest app : first experiences

I have no issue with the new application. I open it about once a month. The only time I use it is when I need to change something with a device.

I like the look and I think it is just what the target audience will like.

3 Likes

Will Weatherflow still sell the original Sky/Air separately located products or is the only choice going forward the Tempest unit where temperature will not be properly measured at a roof top observation point?

I trust the separate devices will still be available for the more professional market.

Thanks

1 Like

How are you so sure of this? Don’t forget that the Tempest has wind, solar, and thermal property data all at the same location.

NWS standard for temperature observations is 4’ to 6’ off the surface

The Smart Weather Station is a Consumer product. It was not, is not and never will be a professional product. It’s not even a high-end Consumer product.

It is a fantastic product for consumers that want to have a general indication of the weather at their location.

For myself, it’s great. It fits in nicely with my home automation system.

4 Likes

Those objectives do not agree with conversations I had with WeatherFlow support staff both before my purchase and after my purchase mid year last year

Then I think it’s time to bring @dsj into the conversation because that is my understanding. Granted that I’m new to this and I surly cannot speak for WeatherFlow.

3 Likes

Again, all that data is “known” by the Tempest system. Furthermore, the data I have from 4’ and 28’ AGL at my location does not support that you will have the wrong temperature reading at your house from the Tempest.

I concur with @GaryFunk’s statement. Many, many conversations with WF and @dsj over the past 3 years indicate that the SWS and Tempest are NOT professional setups. Purely targeting the consumer market. Not even leaning toward the pro-sumer market.

3 Likes

It will be inaccurate at 28’ compared to standardized methods of temperature measurements as set by the National Weather Service

We’re hoping before September. If you want the complete system (new Hub + Tempest) it is available for pre-order in our online store now but we want to give existing customers the option to upgrade with a good discount. Also, if you want the cheaper option of getting the Tempest only, it’s best to let the firmware on the device become fully mature.

Yes, we’re actually working on an email update and special offer to go out before the end of this week!

@wxlist
WeatherFlow consumer devices (Tempest/AIR/SKY) as good or better than what you find in other home weather stations. Moreover, the new Tempest system is more than hardware - using advanced quality control analysis and machine learning techniques, our goal is to provide you the most accurate estimate of real-time conditions, as well as a guaranteed better forecast.

In addition to data accuracy and forecast enhancement, there are several attributes where the Tempest (and AIR & SKY) perform better than other devices, better even than “professional” or “pro-sumer” devices: cost, simplicity, ease-of-use, low maintenance, and reliability.

Tempest (and AIR & SKY) are aimed squarely at the home consumer, designed for residential use with available WiFi and with the ability to perform exceptionally well in most weather conditions. That said, some aspects of the hardware/software have not been optimized for the advanced needs of the scientific / professional user.

7 Likes

Again, remember this isn’t just a thermometer.

Which one is at 4’ and which one is at 28’?

3 Likes

Yeah. What Tim said.

1 Like

Tell us. 4ft and 28ft. Explain

I believe 57.4F is 4’.

The standard NWS siting for a thermometer is, “The sensor should be mounted 5 feet +/- 1 foot above the ground.” This is what @wxlist is saying and therefore faulting WeatherFlow’s choice to put the temperature sensor in a single unit, the Tempest. My argument, and as I understand it, that of WeatherFlow, is that this is no ordinary thermometer. The thermal properties of the device, the solar radiation it is receiving at any moment, the wind speed and direction, relative humidity, height above ground, temperature at the sensor, and possibly other parameters are all known so AI can be applied to display the correct temperature. This is the point I was trying to make to @wxlist. I posted temperature reading of the two field test Tempests at my location, one is at 4’ AGL and the other is at 28’ AGL. I could post the readings at a different time where the temperature reading on the first card is higher than on the lower card. It really doesn’t seem to matter that the two are at different elevations, which is my point.

1 Like

The AI artificial intelligence is nothing but bunk. We have had that discussion with the NWS and local broadcast meteorologists in my area and everyone doubts it

If a Winter storm is occurring I need to know exactly if it is 32.5, 31 or 27. A thermometer is a thermometer and an inaccurate sensor is an inaccurate senso as has been proven with the inaccurate Haotic rain sensor. A tipping bucket will match a stratus almost to the 1/100 but the haptic
Will never come close

See page 43 to 44 in the CWOP program guideline on how to properly site a thermometer and all weather instruments

I am not discounting what you said. I even gave you credit when answering @caredlands. Isn’t it clear that we see things differently and that is it? Neither of us is wrong for how we want our data or how we get it. If the Tempest was a NWS standard instrument then I’d be picky about siting it, too. It sounds like you need NWS standard data so you need to use the appropriate instrument for such. That is ok. Right now it is wet here and the temperature is almost at the dew point and the two Tempests are showing within 0.4°F of each other. I’m fine with either value as the only value. Obviously you aren’t ok with that which is just fine. If you get a Tempest, keep or get an AIR to go along with it, otherwise get a different instrument.

3 Likes

Good night. I’m tired .