Switched from AcuRIte 5-1 station, Tempest dashboard

Also as seen on Facebook

1 Like

Thanks for the info. With your second reply I can see why its focused on wind and compass vs temperature. Our 2 most looked at is temperature and rain. Looks like a free and paid version, but I will definitely try it out.

2 Likes

Where I come from in West Texas we have much more wind and temperature than we have rain or snow. :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl: But I have never been there and sailed that!

1 Like

One of the problems using a tablet for this purpose is how do you power it. Do you recharge it all the time which is a hassle or do you use a charger or power bank which can be made to work. The problem with that approach is that you keep the batteries in a constant full charge state meaning lots of damaging heat and damage by keeping the batteries in an expanded shape. That is not how they are supposed to be used and drastically reduces the life. I really donā€™t know the answer but a tablet sized screen that was only ac powered if they exist would be much better and safer because a regular tablet could be dangerous with batteries in that state all the time.

1 Like

There is truth to your comments.

However, most devices in the past few years that are charged by switching power units will stop charging when the battery reaches 100%.

That being said, I have two tablets that have been on for over two years. They stay cool and have suffered no noticeable damage or signs of degradation.

3 Likes

The only thing you need to worry about re: tablets is whether the browser is current enough for modern web technologies. For example, our old Kindleā€™s have such an ancient browser that I canā€™t use it to display Home Assistant screens etc. A 2019 or later Kindle 7/8/10 definitely works, FWIW.

What are you using for the wall bracket?

If you are using them in landscape mode, make sure to set the two sides a smidge further apart so that the volume or power buttons donā€™t accidentally get pressed when sliding the tablet in/outā€¦

3 Likes

From the developerā€¦

This started out as a non WF project to allow Yacht Clubs to provide their membership with live weather data from the clubhouseā€¦
And, once I connected with @dsj at WF, it morphed into something moreā€¦ an alternative to the WF methodology and philosophy on their own App.
Currently, it supports WF Sky/Air and Tempestā€¦ and various other stations that are connected to my website.

I am always open to suggestions and welcome comments or issues.
ā€“Sam

4 Likes

I am trying to get it to work on my fire tablet. All it does is say connecting at the top of the app.
in the middle of the app it said verifying accessā€¦ please waitā€¦ then my SWSā€¦ the dot are my
station id. I had loaded the program thru Amazon and Google play. Does the same thing.
I have a Fire HD 10 (7th generation). I am running Fire OS 5.6.6.0 (654620620) newest version. It works on my Samsung note 9 phone and my ipad.

thank you in advance

Don

That should be fixed in the next releaseā€¦ Fire OS 5.6.6.0 is really Android 5. I have modified the build to include Android 5 for the next release.
ā€“Sam

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response. I just check it on my grand daughter fire hd 10(9th generation) works fine. I will wait for the next release. thanks again.

Don

The degradation would show on battery life if you tried to use them like a normal tablet again. Not a big deal if you are always on power. Iā€™ve got a Nexus 7 that Iā€™d like to use for this purpose but it has a faulty USB port. Iā€™ve never fixed an USB port but maybe YouTube will help.

Keep an eye on the Nexus 7. I had one that had a defective battery which can lead to a bad situation like a battery fire especially if the back of it starts getting hot like mine did.

I think mine is ok but yeah, that is the whole reason Iā€™d like a device that could run straight ac. You just never know for sure how a battery will respond being kept above 90% all the time. You may never have a problem other than shortening the life of the battery but if you have a problem it can be bad. I need to talk to an electrician because Iā€™ve seen videos of bypassing and removing the battery in a tablet. I have no idea if you could do it to the Nexus but it would be as good as you could get in a 7" HD tablet weather screen.

Originally weatherflow said they were going to offer a display. Iā€™d love to have something I could purchase and use out of the box. Not a fan of smartphone apps generally and donā€™t want to mess around with making my own display. Normally, I wake up my laptop at home to view my station and of course I keep a browser tab running at work (no cell phones allowed there).

I have an Amazon Fire Tablet with a ā€œdockā€ so it is always powered. The concept was to use the tablet like the Amazon Show. It works great.

3 Likes

Where are you with the iOS pro version?

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks - I have the Pro. Itā€™s workable. We sailed the Chesapeake for years before moving to Florida.

1 Like