[API] Suspend Data Capture

The ability in the application to turn off data capture and thus transmission of said data to the Hub.

I have had three occasions this weekend where this would have been a very welcomed option. I know this has been discussed and is an option in the planning as we have discussed. I would just like to bring this up again and see where it is in WeatherFlow’s plans.

Gary

3 Likes

An update on this: This specific feature is on the roadmap, although backlogged due to two two other data management features that should achieve the same goal, plus others. Those two features are

• Delete All Data (aka “Reset Data”), which is useful following initial device setup and installation, or moving a device to a new location.
  • Delete Selective Data, allowing you to remove ranges of individual observations, which can be useful for removing data acquired during maintenance or any other sources of bogus data.

“Delete All Data” will be in the next app release (prior to the arrival of all the new AIR & SKY units currently being readied for shipment). “Delete Select Data” will follow in a future.

7 Likes

A further clarification on this for us would be the ability to enter ‘maintenance mode’ where we can ‘ignore’ data sent by either Air or Sky while moving the equipment, changing batteries, etc…

That way, bad data doesn’t get transmitted to WF/WU until back into business!

4 Likes

A mode that allows you to move the sensors without logging to historical archive or online but still shows sensor output data.

3 Likes

Something like what is suggested here?

1 Like

There should be a stop transmitting function if you intend to take your weather flow down for cleaning or resting up your weatherflow station.

As a suggestion to weatherflow, how about an indoor temp sensor and a weather cam so not only can you see your weather data but a picture of the sky conditions and integrates this picture with your weather data?

Or maybe a weatherflow 2 with inbult weather cam.

2 Likes

turn your hub off might be a workaround for this…

2 Likes

Not really, hence the Sky and the hub have data buffers (for different time scales). As soon as one connects upward the buffered data will be transferred.

1 Like

I assume you can’t reach your SKY directly before doing any maintenance. For my Mobile unit I can walk up to it from my roof and disconnect it from the SPA before it transmits any false rain data. It is when I get to my destination and put it up on the fiberglass pole on my RV where I get false rain. It would be nice to have a “Stop recording/sending data” toggle on each device for such times. The app could then send reminders at user preferred intervals to re-enable data collection. The individual devices could buffer during this time and the user would be asked what time data should then be uploaded and pull from the buffer, if needed. This way, if the user forgot to re-enable data collection at least they would have the full buffer capacity of data.

2 Likes

the better way to do this, is a way to delete data. Why is that better, because people will forget to toggle the stop recording, or there might be an other reason you measured something that’s not real weather data.

1 Like

From a different thread this morning…Offline data storage during internet outages

“AIR will store about 2.5 hours of data (if it can’t reach the Hub)”
“SKY will store about 1.5 hours of data (if it can’t reach the Hub)”

So if you’re going to do maintenance, leave your hub unplugged for 2 hours ?
(untested)

1 Like

Well, that will get an difficult handling to the time period. Not to miss any data points but cancel out the maintenance false data points.
A latch might be a useful idea: Don’t record the data for the next x minutes…

1 Like

Of course. I was just looking to find if there is a current workaround that works (even though it would be a bit ugly). You’d of course need to do tests to see what “about N.N hours” is more specifically to try to pin down when you would be reasonably sure without losing too much data.

1 Like

Maybe something like this:

2 Likes

I have my system mounted on my motorhome and need this mode for times when I am driving to a new location.

1 Like

I know I’ve asked this multiple times in the 15 months since my gear arrived, but it would be great if we could get access to ‘the to-do list’ of feature requests and some greater than zero indication from WF of:

• what is the whole list
  • some rudimentary description of the request
  • some initial triage commentary of ‘no way’ or ‘maybe someday’ or ‘right on it!’ timing

This isn’t hard nor labor intensive.

Just create a GitHub repo with a readme top-level thing and let us open issues. That’s at least searchable and user-maintainable. Periodically (monthly even) have somebody WF look at any new ones and at least acknowledge their existence with a first pass ‘yup/no/maybe someday’ note.

Right now we hear nothing, essentially.

Using weewx as my usual example - see https://github.com/weewx/weewx/issues for how easy this is.

3 Likes

I would like to add that as an option to turn off data transmission for maintenance. Uploads go direct to the data repository and also get uploaded to other services otherwise. So would be useful to suspend transmission to avoid erroneous data.

1 Like

Hi folks. Even though we don’t have a better external view into our internal roadmap, we are listening. This feature is on that roadmap!

4 Likes

I appreciate your public acknowledgement though some of us knew this.

Maybe this will get a couple of votes.

2 Likes