Station Privacy and PII Concerns

@meteo.thenioux The ‘Share Publicly’ toggle allows each user to decide if they wish to share their data or not. You seem to be the only user thus far to have an issue with this function. To help SOLVE this immediately, we have set your toggle to not share in our database – your weather data will no longer be available in any API. As example: https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/2117 (As noted before, the settings on your account were previously set to ‘Share Publicly’ = on/yes.)

We’re obliged to help understand the root cause as to why your ‘Share Publicly’ toggle in the app does not seem to be working for you. In order to do so, we would need a full and objective understanding of your user experience. Which app version are you using? Exactly what steps are you taking? Did you hit the SAVE button after setting the Share Publicly toggle on the Station settings screen? Can you provide screenshots of the steps? Are there any atypical settings in your home network we should be aware of? Happy to help SOLVE, but need more details to understand your unique situation.

Save_button

We also understand and appreciate your concern for geographical data. To that end, we have a plan to implement a way to obfuscate geo-location while at the same time enable location-specific forecasting and AI/machine learning calibration and QC techniques. Until we release the enhancements, any user can simply choose to locate your station anywhere: App > Settings > Stations > Location. (Note: the WU forecast is directly related to user-defined location.)

Thanks for voicing your constructive feedback.

4 Likes

I do not want anyone to use the position data of my station, online and offline, that an unofficial map uses the positioning data without my consent, I ask you to stop it, I have the right to choose or how to use my position data of my station if my station is online or offline it is unacceptable that everyone uses this API without a request or agreement of the owners thank you to change this quickly
cordially

je ne veux pas que n’importe qui utilise les données de position de ma station , online et offline qu’une carte non officielle utilise sans mon accord les données de positionnement je vous demande que cela s’arrete ,j ai le droit de choisir ou comment utilise mes données de position de ma station si ma station est online ou offline il est inacceptable que tout le monde utilise cette api sans une demande ou accord des proprietaires merci de changer cela rapidement
cordialement

Try setting it public, wait a few minutes, and set it private again. The setting on the web may have come out of sync with the app…

1 Like

le problème est pas que la !! je ne veux ni souhaite que mes données ou ma position sur une carte non officiel soit faite sans mon accord , cela est scandaleux la moindre politesse est de demander un accord

the problem is not that the !! I do not want or want my data or my position on an unofficial map to be made without my consent, it is scandalous the slightest courtesy is to ask for an agreement

The map developer claims that he honors your station privacy settings when building the map, which for some reason are out of synchronization between your app (set private) and the web (marked as public). Hence my suggestion to try toggling it twice to see if it changes, and if not open a support ticket with WF. I have a station marked private, and it is not visible to anyone but me with my WF user/password.

I am the world’s biggest privacy advocate, and do not even have a Facebook account. The private setting has worked in my testing.

Le développeur de cartes affirme qu’il respecte les paramètres de confidentialité de votre station lors de la création de la carte, qui, pour une raison quelconque, ne sont pas synchronisés entre votre application (définie en privé) et le Web (marquée comme publique). D’où ma suggestion d’essayer de basculer deux fois pour voir si cela change, et sinon ouvrir un ticket de support avec WF. J’ai une station marquée privée, et elle n’est visible à personne sauf moi avec mon utilisateur / mot de passe WF.

Je suis le plus grand défenseur de la vie privée au monde, et je n’ai même pas de compte Facebook. Le cadre privé a travaillé dans mes tests.

4 Likes

Good evening again I will repeat myself my station is position private since you do not want to understand, that my station is in public or in private I do not want my station to appear on maps of the web sites or I do not know what else without my agreement, I will not indicate a fictional position this is not the purpose of the weather station, I agree to weatherflow, wunderground, or some software that I pay and give my consent
but it is out of the question that my online or offline position is taken again for cards depriving or not depriving but unofficial there is no agreement with these people, I do not understand why anyone uses this position data without an agreement from the owner
for your information there are 10 weather stations of different brands running on the network weatherflow has its individual wifi network
now I do not want my station to appear on this unofficial map and do not want anybody not to use my weather and location data
cordially
Bonsoir encore je vais me répéter ma station est positionner privé puisque vous ne voulez pas comprendre ,que ma station soit en public ou en privé je ne veux pas que ma station apparaisse sur des cartes des sites web ou je ne sais quoi d’autres sans mon accord , je vais pas indiquer une position fictive cela est pas le but de la station meteo , je donne mon accord pour weatherflow , wunderground ,ou certains logiciels que j’ai payer et donner mon accord
mais il est hors de question que ma position online ou offline soit reprise pour des cartes priver ou non priver mais non officiel il y a aucuns accord avec ces personnes ,je ne comprend pas pourquoi n’importe qui utilise ces données de positions sans un accord du proprietaire
pour vos informations il y a 10 stations meteo de differentes marques fonctionnant sur le reseau weatherflow a son reseau wifi individuel
maintenant je ne veux plus que ma station apparaisse sur cette carte non officiel et ne veux en aucuns cas des personnes non autoriser utilise mes données meteo et de localisation
cordialement

Hi meteo.thenioux,

I believe your position has been made very clear to all. Please allow all parties the time to identify root cause and solve the issue(s) at hand. I would ask that you focus your replies here as it is on topic. Please do not add the same comments to unrelated threads in the forum(s) which do not pertain to the topic at hand.

Thank You!

2 Likes

Good evening @meteo.thenioux . Thank you for raising this important issue, we actually do understand your point. It’s great that we have a community of users with a voice in the product development cycle. As you may know, our systems are designed to get better with every iteration. We have noted two issues: (1) a bug in the iOS app user interface on the Stations setting page that did not trigger a ‘did you wish to save your edits?’ modal when changes are made without hitting the SAVE button, and (2) the unintentional exposure of geo-location data in the API for stations marked as private. Again, we thank you for bringing these to our attention in the spirit of helping to improve the product experience for others.

We have escalated both issues and hope to have solutions in place within days.

6 Likes

FYI, I reported this week’s ago.

1 Like

Yup. Was on our list, now it has been prioritized.

2 Likes