Solar Panel Power for SKY - Now Shipping

That would require a total retool and raise the cost high for little gain. The idea is to cut the cost.

That could be true. I’ve no detailed insight in that.

@WFmarketing I’m a bit worried that design A is very asymmetrical. The haptic rain sensor is very sensitive and will pick up rain falling on the solar panels. This can be calibrated, but with such an asymmetric design, it is going to depend strongly on wind direction and wind speed. Design A also looks like a perfect “branch” for birds to sit on.

Perhaps a separate solar panel that is connected with a wire is the simplest solution to prevent all of that. People could mount it on the mast, or an a wall or roof.

If you want to make a completely new design, put the solar panel at the top, the size of the existing top. But I realize that that would make it not an easy upgrade (if at all) for all the existing users. Design wise that would be the best.

That’s a reasonable concern to be sure. In our testing so far, however, neither birds nor “rain-on-panel” have been issues. But, that’s what field testing is about!!

4 Likes

A panel with a pipe clamp connected with a wire to the sky unit might be the best idea. It is unlikely you would have a vibration issue with that. A single piece however, certainly simplifies installation. We are now in Q1, I am itching to get this up so I can forget about batteries for the Sky. (Hint, hint!)

2 Likes

Similar. First set of lithium batts lasted 6-7 months. Up in northern Ontario here so cold is about -20C at night. Sometimes -30 or more. Need long lasting batteries given that battery replacement often involves digging through mountains of snow in winter.

I am in similar conditions and have 3.11 vdc after 208 days. This is telling me that all cells are not created equally. I am going to start recording the details on the cells I buy because clearly there are differences.

But alas, we are way off topic here.

4 Likes

Energizer bunny not so energetic after 200 days.

3.11 vdc is pretty energetic.

Darn. You have eyes viewing the entire world. Can’t hide anything from your view ).

As i stated, clearly all cells are not created by the same bunny.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I think the design looks great! Can’t wait!

Diffently a great design! I was expecting a solar panel with wires! This would be so much better and would sell very well. Great work WF!

Scrum as in kamikaze football :face_with_head_bandage::grin:

1 Like

I really can’t wait for the solar panel.
I don’t like the idea of using the ladder to climb on the roof, and bringing down the 13 foot mast every time I want to change the batteries.

8 Likes

Soon … patience will be rewarded …

5 Likes

Two drone photos of a solar panel install. image image

10 Likes

After almost 8 weeks of testing I am happy to confirm they are a great little unit as well. No false wind events in the time due to any extra aerodynamic loading, performs like a champ day and night. They look pretty cool as well. Great work by the WF team. A few pics included to show front and side profile of the unit and also mounted , love it !IMG_20190225_100724%20(Large) IMG_20190225_100734%20(Large) IMG_20190225_101427%20(Large)

7 Likes

Looks great! Can’t wait to get my hands on one. Good work team WeatherFlow @WFmarketing

3 Likes