Solar Panel Power for SKY - Now Shipping

It’s so small and the Sky is held securely in place I think the added area will cause no adverse effects.

After all, if this big thing can withstand the wind, surely the little solar panel will.

IMG_20181130_223839

5 Likes

Excellent point!!!

FYI, “this big thing” is an Acu-Rite 5-in-1 (Pro edition, dual solar panels). The race car engineer in me sees that torque moment from the mast mount being at one end of the 5-in-1 and thinks that their design was asinine, but Acu-Rite’s new Atlas sensor commits the same sin.

Other all-in-one PWS designs try to keep the mast closer to the center of mass, such as the Davis Vantage Vue and the Ambient Weather “Bat Wing” thing:

FWIW, I have to do a double-take every time that I see that picture posted, since I have the same equipment mounted more-or-less the same way in my back yard:

USAF Thunderbirds performing at the New York International Air Show a few months ago, in case anyone was curious…

3 Likes

Well the design B from the first post would handle this :wink:
And , by the way, mo need for difference for southern and northern hemisphere…

2 Likes

Wondering how the unit will react under heavy wind situations as it is already vibration sensitive, this little square will put some extra stress on the body.

2 Likes

This was in my mind for the last post to prefere model B of the original post… thanks Eric to point it out clearly.

1 Like

If you are worried about vibration, pose the question to WeatherFlow so David can answer.

The panel is fixed at 45° but it’s oversized enough that it should provide enough power even at high latitudes.

Yes, as Gary points out, the panel can be sandwiched between the SKY and one of the standard mounts.

This is possible and will depend on your individual mount. However, as others have noted, the moment created by the panel is minimal compared to other things people mount on poles. As long as your mount is strong, there should be no issue.

The issue here is you need more than double the panel area to get the same power output when you go to 90°. We like this idea, though, so don’t be surprised if you see it a future design…

3 Likes

Can the solarpanel also be used for the Air with suitable sun protection? The connection would be the same…

It could but how would you keep the panel in sunlight and the Air out of sunlight?

Almost all weather stations in the world have the temperature sensor in the sunlight with an appropriate sun protection, see Davis, Ambientweather, Oregon scientific, Acurite etc.
Why not? is only a question of the right sun protection…

1 Like

That is the question. How do you shield the Air from direct sunlight and keep the panel in direct sunlight?

2 Likes

Actually if you study the data you will realize that a vast majority of consumer weather stations with non-aspirated solar radiation shields do not do an adequate job of isolating the temp sensor from the sun’s influence. The ideal siting is full shade with proper ambient air flow. (And yes, we realize shade siting is not possible for all users.)

Regarding a solar panel for AIR…yes, our planned solar panel for SKY will fit and power the AIR if desired…but we don’t think the value equation makes much sense. The AIR is designed with an extremely efficient power consumption profile. Four AA Lithium batteries will last for ~2years. Whereas a solar panel and associated rechargeable power supply will cost more than ~ 4 dozen lithium batteries = ~ 24 years AIR battery life = beyond the life expectancy of a solar panel. SKY consumes more power and is typically mounted in a less convenient location so the equation makes way more sense.

8 Likes

You guys know that I have been nagging you about solar since virtually day one. I hope I am on the shortlist for Santa to make a delivery!

2 Likes

I’m about to install the Sky in a very remote location on a high pole. Right now, the battery voltage dropped to about 3.22 V (it’s getting colder now), the location I will install it is much more colder and windier.
Can you say at least if the solar panel is going to be available by the end of 2019?

2 Likes

I think we will see the Solar Power device before we see the Breathe. Maybe field testers will see the unit this Spring. But I’m just guessing and most likely wrong.

5 Likes

OK I see. I guess many people are interested to be field testers. Anyways, I’d really need it and hope it’s available soon.
The Breathe is probably more important for the revenue. There are similar devices available already so I hope WF makes a good brainstorming which particles they’re going to monitor. Diodes and stuff is prone to aging so having a smart way of operating such devices will be important.

1 Like

I want to be on the waiting list too, but I don’t plan on going back up on the roof until I have to, so I’m hoping that is a couple years away.

I think the Solar Power will outlast the Sky.

5 Likes

Could WeatherFlow comment on the development of the solar charging/battery system for sky?
I believe there is a large demand for this.

Thanks

Discussed in public here:

1 Like