Snow piling up on top of SKY

I hope the sun can do its magic :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

I wonder how hard it would be on the electronics if the cap and the bottom of the wind gap were black to absorb solar energy to accelerate the melting.

1 Like

98% of the electronic components are just under the top cap. So the floor of the wind gap should see no effect. I think there would be minimal effect on the top but temperature could reach 150°. However I feel it would not do much good when snow falls at night, such as what happened in Denver last night.

1 Like

Even the Davis can fail from time to time…
DAVIS%20WM%20II

4 Likes

My Sky has some snow & ice, but has been stuck at 248° (WSW) for 12 hours. The problem is, the wind is out of the northeast.

Oh my, oh my. Takes a lot for the Davis to get stuck…

Freezing rain will stop anything, but the Davis VP2’s anemometer is pretty immune to clogging from regular heavy snowfall…unlike the Acu-Rite and some other major all-in-one sensor packages…

20190130182104-6a424cfd-me

1 Like

Agreed. Had my Davis Vantage Pro 2 for about 8-10 years and it’s only been stopped by freezing rain once or twice in all that time. Never had to adjust it, oil it, or anything - it’s been up there all this time without complaining :slight_smile:

Look forward to seeing how Sky holds up through the rigours of years of hot/cold, wet/dry, icy etc. Someday hopefully Sky will become the “old standby” that has weathered the time well. It’s off to a good start from what I see.

2 Likes

Holy moly. Looks like you have NASA running in your back yard, judging from all the WF units you have. Wow. Me = simple Canadian with 1 Air and 1 Sky.

1 Like

The biggest curse of having multiple sensors is trying to decide which one is “right” at any given moment.

There’s three Sky/Air packages, the Davis VP2, Acu-Rite 5-in-1, a 4" Stratus/CoCoRaHS manual bucket, and an 8" Rainwise 111 outside my house right now. As soon as the federal government starts surplussing the Vaisala ultrasonic anemometers used at official ASOS observation sites, I’ll have one of those in my collection as well…

Nothing is immune from the wrath of winter.

These are my 2 SKY units today (April 10, 2019)
SKY%201%262

I have an Ambient Weather, which plugs at the drop of a hat… this is today as well
Ambient

I have a Davis Weather Monitor II wireless, which is not without problems, but is not mounted…
DAVIS%20WM%20II

3 Likes

“The biggest curse of having multiple sensors is trying to decide which one is “right” at any given moment.”

“A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
— Segal’s Law

Rick Comito

3 Likes

Any luck on nano particle spray???