SmartThings Integration

I just purchased a WeatherFlow with the intent to connect to smartthings as advertised only to find out during the setup process…this is not possible. Back in Jan 2021, you said to give a few weeks. It is now April 2022, has there been any progress?

1 Like

Hey thanks for checking in! Smartthings is still in active development. It’s an important feature to us and our customers.

So you know, Tempest owners can use the Weather Underground PWS integration with Smartthings as a temporary workaround for some features. You can easily send Tempest data to a WU PWS and use that to link to Smartthings.

2 Likes

How often is WU updated from the weather station? Will rain / wind events be sent immediately to WU or will that information be sent on its update cycle?

WU receives data as often as every 5 minutes. Wind & rain events are included with the update cycle. :+1:

2 Likes

Really disappointed that Smartthings integration hasn’t happened yet. That’s one of the things that got me to buy Tempest. I have it integrated with my Rachio irrigation controller but to get it integrated with Smartthings would be ideal as I use that to automate the entire house.

You could integrate it to Home Assistant. I used to use Smartthings but ended up with so many different apps and half couldn’t be integrated with Smartthings. I now have all my smart devices in Home Assistant and can do all automations there too. Worth exploring, it’s a learning curve but heaps of documentation and mostly UI config, very little coding knowledge required.

1 Like

LoL, no. Like a cult, someone always tries to “convert” others to HA. I’m very happy with SmartThings for several years. Samsung has been improving it greatly and I have absolutely no reason to switch to something else. What I want is what I was sold, a weather system that is compatible with SmartThings. It even states it on the box that the Tempest came in, a nice big SmartThings logo.

I’m not trying to “convert” you at all, just offering a suggestion.

2 Likes

Where are we with the Smartthings integration?

Smartthings has just updated its platform to accommodate Matter devices, was active development working with the new Smartthings Edge?

I get that WU can deliver weather information, but other variables from sensors on the Tempest unit, such as brightness — something incredibly useful — doesn’t. The station is freaking amazing, but without triggerable variables…it loses something along the way.

You can link your weather station to a Weather Tile capability. It will get your brightness, temp, humidity, and UV. Those are the only weather capabilities built into SmartThings, so even if exposed, you couldn’t get things like windspeed and direction anyway.

Well that’s a surprise! I didn’t know when I targeted my WU data it was triggerable. But you still have to rely on WeatherUnderground to properly serve the data…which isn’t happening

There is a lot of requests for different vendor integrations. Isn’t is better to go for the new universal standard ‘Matter’ instead, then all vendors can interchange data.

Matter would be nice but don’t call it a standard yet since the boarder gateway and control app’s aren’t universal and some vendors are already playing games that you can only control devices register on particular hubs/platforms.

1 Like

Might be so, but it is definitely a newly released standard (v1.0 oct 22). To bad when vendors try to invent the wheel again or deviate to see if the rest follows just to patent a variation instead of contribute. But that is a way of topic discussion :slight_smile:

Matter enables different devices to communicate across a common and widely available network protocol. It doesn’t ensure that everything can do everything with everything else. The firmware to enable Matter is easy, all you need is a wifi radio, but vendors still need to code to make “things” happen with it.

It’s disappointing that Tempest still doesn’t have SmartThings support. I chose this product a year ago because they were advertising that SmartThings integration would be coming soon. As of last October when I last checked in with support, it was still “coming soon”.

I’m 100% certain the reason for the delay is SmartThings migration off Groovy and on to Lua Edge Drivers… so I guess I can’t blame them. But… there are also a lot of other vendors that have developed Edge Drivers for their devices rather quickly.

I’ve recently gone down the path of learning the Edge ecosystem myself. I think I have an ok grasp on it now, so I turned my attention to develop a driver to integrate with Tempest by pulling the UDP data to import into an Edge device… and I’m quickly learning that the SmartThings hub doesn’t support broadcast messages. So it may be impossible to utilize the UDP data… which I’d assume is what Tempest was banking on.

… still hopeful

Any news on this - in common with many on this thread I purchased Tempest on the basis of SmartThings support so it is disappointing to see little or no progress.

1 Like

I contacted support about a month ago and they said they are still in active development on it, but had no time frame.

With that said, a SmartThings community member has recently integrated Tempest with their weather Edge Driver. It’s not an official WeatherFlow/SmartThings integration, but it does work. The caveat is that it does need you to install a basic proxy server. SmartThings does not have the ability to make HTTP requests outside of the local network, so it needs this proxy server running on your local network to forward/receive data to/from WealtherFlow. More details and instructions are here GitHub - toddaustin07/edgeWeather: SmartThings Edge Weather driver

I posted another thread on here with some screenshots showing all that is accessible SmartThings Integration Available

I’m still hopeful WeatherFlow will follow through with an official integration though.

2 Likes

Man, years and years of patiently waiting for smartthings integration. A couple things worth noting, one i really like my Weatherflow, it works great and is a quality product IMO. At some point Weatherflow did offer a refund to me due to the lack of SmartThings integration. I appreciate that they did that. I didnt take them up on the offer because i still use and like the product. But the lack of smarthings integration and the many many updates claim “coming soon”, “a few weeks”, “hang tight”, “testing phase” etc has been a giant disappointment. I get that a lot of things with smartthings has been changing OVER THE YEARS and integrating might be difficult. I am still hopeful though. SmartThings integration would make this perfect for me. I could utilize the data and automate so many things! So if your still reading this Tempest, I and i think a good amount of users would love Smarttthings integration to happen sooner rather than later. Thanks

1 Like

Any updates or an ETA?

1 Like

Still waiting to see this Smartthings integration “real soon” … :skull: