Smart Weather Archive for Cheap Local Storage

my software consolewd, for raspberry pi, supports weather flow
and it updates a logfile/data files,.,etc
i.e to store you data
(and even can be setup update a mysql)
easy to setup
donationware only

3 Likes

I may have missed it. Where can I see your software?

www.weather-display.com
then see the download link, and a link to the Linux versions

2 Likes

Thank you. I remember now. I’ll have a look.

1 Like

I have switched to JavaScript. It’s faster, operates in non-blocking mode. And since JavaScript is event driven it will run much smoother.

EDIT
Node.js is fantastic! I have a working script collecting data from two Hub, two Air and two Sky.

It’s reading and writing so fast there is no lag. It’s even recording rapid wind data, which is pretty much useless as archival data.

Now I need to add about 300 lines of error code to ensure it will not crash. Dang, this is exciting. This means drivers and nodeservers can query data and not have to wait hours to calculate trends.

Gary

2 Likes

glad you came across node.js and the best part discovering new libraries is you learn a lot along the way especially if you wrote it yourself , easier to adress anomalies and support to many times ive tried and i see third party scripts get used and it all goes horribly wrong when trying to fathem out someones else code…

for whats it worth i use two less than 5k third party small libraries the rest now only uses a small less than 100k jquery 3.3.1library …the smaller the library better efficiency on device batteries,cpu use and most importantly and better user experience… good luck in your project(s)…brian

2 Likes

It one of those things that I’ve known about for years but just never saw a need to personally use. It’s been on all my computers, work computers and servers and just did it’s job.

Now I’m wondering why I waited so long to actually use it.

1 Like

A screenshot of the tables and a sample of the data collected.

Capture

1 Like

I like it! I especially like that both the device ID and the Hub it is reporting through is contained in each row!

2 Likes

I am storing ALL the data exactly as it is received from the Hub.

I will write functions to store manipulated data in additional tables later.

1 Like

As an old Transact SQL guy, I really like it when tables are constructed in ways that save me from building extra inner, outer, sideways, whatever joins.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many hours or days of data the Hub is capable of storing?

2 Likes

I finished the code to create the “weatherflow” database, create the “wf” user with assigned privileges to the table and create the tables and index.

The first time the node server runs it will create the database and user.

Tomorrow I will finish the code to alter the database tables when the UDP data changes.

1 Like

Pi3B+ is running here now . . . just in case you need a field tester for the local archiver . . . 8GB card in it now but I have a 32GB card available here.

2 Likes

I have testing to do on the Pi and if it works I send you the instructions to get set up.

Did you install the GUI or Stretch Lite?

GUI . . . but can easily reinstall whatever. This pi is not in use for anything else at the moment.

2 Likes

Leave it as is and you can test with the GUI. I only install Lite on my units.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Weather-Display aka Weather-Watch

If you want to discuss the backlogging system to Weather Display systems from Brian Hamilton, follow the link above :point_up:

OK, but then why can not the official weatherflow template do it or offer to do it daily, week, month or year

Right you are @GaryFunk. I’ll pay closer attention.

2 Likes