Smart Weather Archive for Cheap Local Storage

I’m thinking about writing a post processor to convert the data to values used by the station. Then pull and store values such as low, high, average, total, time and other values as appropriate.

1 Like

That sounds great! I’m playing with that sort of project, but I am sure that you’ll be done way ahead of me.

2 Likes

I think I have everything configured. The process now survives a reboot of the Pi.

I’m going to start fresh and go through the entire installation again. So far I’m very pleased with how it’s working.

I have the scripts and setup instructions ready for those the would like to test.

The script runs in the background under the “Pi” user and fully survives a system boot.

Please let me know if you would like to test.

The next step is to incorporate this into NodeServers to allow queries so the nodeserver can retrieve high, low and trend values.

I’ll keep testing. Probably not on a pi initially though, my old PI doesn’t seem to like the nodejs mysql install.

1 Like

These Pi units are great. I’m going to order 10 more.

The latest files are now online.

Well @GaryFunk, the latest written version of the installation steps worked perfectly for me the other day . . . and the WF Archiver is doing exactly what I expected it to do. The best part, for me at least, is that I can write SQL queries against the data (using Sequel Pro on Mac OS/X to read the MySql data from the Raspberry Pi). Thanks for building this!

Dan.

1 Like

I have another Pi 3B+ on the way already . . . should be here Friday. I am sure I’ll order more, too.

1 Like

The latest instructions show you how to keep it running in the background and the script has more error handling.

1 Like

The Pi is a great device. You can have local storage and processing for around $60.

1 Like

With this you can have the nodeserver pull the previous three hours of pressure data if needed. Also yesterday’s values.

For those that are really OCD I will put two Pi units in a cluster and synchronize them. If one unit needs to reboot the other will keep storing data. Then when the unit comes back online it will pull the lost data.

I have been using the archiver to do some precipitation comparisons between SKY and my 4" NWS/CoCoRaHS gauge. Simple to write a query that selects and totals the SKY precip from time A to time B (and converts the units, too).

1 Like

Are you planning to use DB sync via MySQL for this?

1 Like

I don’t know what I will use.

Changes in the latest version.
Added more logging.
Added scheduling.
Added shutdown control.

This is a sample of the logging.

2018-04-06 03:10:43 Starting WFArchiver v1.0.2
2018-04-06 03:10:43 Listening on: 0.0.0.0:50222
2018-04-06 04:00:00 WFArchiver is running

2 Likes

New in verson 0.0.3

Old links removed

1 Like

There is now a script that runs at midnight that updates the previous days High and Low values.

This same routine will run hourly during the day to update High, Low and counts each day. This will make it easy for all devices that do not have internal storage.

1 Like

@dan.gealt and I have been running this for several days now and it has proven to be a valuable tool for finding issues. It’s getting closer to a release but if you want to try it now, let me know.

1 Like

I ran the original for about a week without any issues and just switched to the new version yesterday. So far, no issues with the new version either.

2 Likes

The database tables are finalized and the code is update.

However, at the request of Dan (@dan.gealt) I may add a timestamp to show when the record was written. I am not sure this is useful but the only way to know is to see the results.

1 Like

I have turned this concept into an official application.

5 Likes