Silly question about pointing north

My wife and I disagree about the directions of how to face the blue arrow on the tempest. The directions say be sure the blue arrow faces north. If the tempest is in front of me and I am looking due north, do I see the blue arrow?

1 Like

You will not see the arrow because it will be on the other side of the Tempest. There is no arrow on the south side of the Tempest. Assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, if you are looking at the arrow, you aren’t facing True North but True South if it’s aligned correctly.

Select a landmark that you know that’s facing True North and aim the arrow to that landmark. If you aren’t sure how to find True North, NOAA has a great website/app that can help.

https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calculators/mobileDeclination.shtml

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. Lost that bet :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope it wasn’t an expensive bet :slightly_smiling_face:

No it wasnt. I should have known better, she is always right.

2 Likes

In my defense, and I am sure no one will agree with me because it was perfectly clear to my wife, but the arrow is pointing straight up. They should move it to the top of the tempest and actually point it north. :grin:

3 Likes

That’s a great idea! It beats leaning over a ladder to see if the alignment is correct.

1 Like

No. You see the blue arrow when YOU are facing south.

easy answer - the solar panels need to be facing as close to south as possible. Trying to get the middle of the panels to line up toward the sun at noon usually gets you close.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this! We had the same discussion in our household tonight!

@ysstogdill you are not the only one with this exact question. After having installed my Tempest (on the roof) and then leaving for work it dawned on me how I had it installed based on the wind patterns around my house from other WX stations. Thankfully for now I’ve reoriented the wind direction by spinning the displayed reading 180° from within the application. I’ll have to wait until I return home in September to actually physically spin the device so it’s properly oriented.

I’d say not just place it on the top, but also place it so when properly installed on the flat surface, it actually is pointing towards true north.

edit and fixed my mistake

1 Like

NO! It should be pointing towards TRUE North.

1 Like

Fixed my mistake…what I get for not referring to the setup guid when I’m 2500 miles away from it

1 Like

Indications on the website are confusing for the Tempest. The blue arrow must be on the north side of the station so if you are aligning the station from the south you won’t see the arrow. My logic was kinda bothering me since solar panel does not go north because the sun does a east -> west movement by the south (in north america where I live at least) Thanks for this. Will need to go on the roof to fix this.

1 Like

the north indicator on the unit is like on a compass. If you hold the compass in front of you facing north, the needle points north, but the north indicator on the compass is facing away from you. Same with the tempest, the north indicator face away from you when you are facing north.

1 Like