Should API key: 20c70eae-e62f-4d3b-b3a4-8586e90f3ac8 give access to any station's public data?

I haven’t noticed this. I just generated a new key and it worked immediately (and when the key is deleted it ceases working immediately).

Yes there is a way to do it programmatically, but it is not as simple as requesting the username and password. You have to use an OAuth2 flow and have the user directed to the WeatherFlow servers to login and authorise access. Details here: WeatherFlow Tempest OAuth 2.0 Support

2 Likes

@jhrucker, I found the developer page as it seems to be new and not listed in the settings yet… https://tempestwx.com/developers

Boy that would be awesome if I was seeing the same thing. It is consistently not working that way for me. In fact if I delete a token my app can still use it for hours after. My app keeps polling the API every five minutes I wonder if that is keeping some type of session open your not seeing. Let me turn on all my logging and see if I’m missing something on my side. Maybe my post token deleted api calls are skipping over a connection error and I’m pulling down stale data but think it is current. I doubt it but will look.

I will take a look at that. Thanks!!

2 Likes

I have my logging turned up and I can still make calls to the API after I have deleted the API Key on the web site. I can make calls and I’m getting updated data. I have even closed the session and restarted my node.js app and I can still make calls to the API with the deleted key. This is what I have seen in the past. I expect I will be able to make calls for a few hours then it will stop working.

Almost looks like there is some type of caching going on with the key. I’m in downstate Illinois, USA. Anybody else seeing these type of delays?? If Amazon is hosting their API I wonder if it is a region thing??

I have been following your thread and I love it!

We agree with you and Ben: any page that requires authentication should redirect you back to that page following successfully authentication. We’ll get that taken care of soon.

Possible for sure. We’'ll consider adding it - thanks for the suggestion.

That is definitely not how it’s supposed to work - it should be instant. However, your report prompted us to look and we’ve discovered an issue that is causing up to a one-minute delay before a new personal access token becomes active. We’ll put that on the bug list and get a fix into a future API release.

Ah, now we’re getting to the crux of your issue. What you’re describing is exactly why Oauth2 exists - it allows you to generate a token automatically, seamlessly. It’s the way our third-party integrations work (Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Samsung Smartthings, IFTTT) . It is by far a better solution for an app like yours compared to using personal access token. As @peter mentioned, it’s a little more work but it will provide a MUCH better user experience.

In addition to the Oauth2 documentation, you may also want to give this Update to API documentation announcement a read, if you haven’t already.

And thanks to you for reaching out and for this very cool application of the Tempest System! We are happy to support these kind of projects!

4 Likes

Thanks David I’m off and running on the OAuth process. I have started a post over here in the “oauth2-access-token thread” as I think that thread’s topic is more appropriate for my questions on OAuth.

Thanks for all the great support!!

1 Like