Recent color change to Tempest apps

I don’t know about anyone else, but I wouldn’t complain if someone dropped a free Plumb Crazy Purple Dodge Hellcat in my driveway!!!

3 Likes

Something we all need to remember, any new users from Monday on, will only have seen this new scheme. They will never know what the old scheme looks like and they might think it’s perfect. Hell, I’ve only been a user for a few weeks now and I get it, no one likes change but all we’re focusing on is the color. No one is appreciating the added features and possible future and direction of the app. I’m new to the PWS game and learning a little bit everyday, so let’s focus on the positive because us newbies rely a lot on the veterans in this group and I would hate for a new user to get the wrong impression that most people hate this setup and that might deter them from becoming a contributor. Just my .02

8 Likes

To followup from @tcwilliams1983 thread above. . .don’t just get hung up on the color change. . .Focus on the Whole Entire Tempest° Weather System … which is not just the new App color or the Tempest° senors itself. . .but is much more than that. It includes new innovative ideas, the entire back-end system known as “The Tempest° Cloud” AND the Best Support System offered today. Where else can a Tempest° Owner get a FREE Replacement + FREE shipping . . . should a device (Tempest° and / or its associated Hub) malfunction or suffer from a sensor failure?

6 Likes

Terrible this color purplish-pink or pinkish purple!! Give us at least one choice of colors that we can choose for ourselves. Blue was perfect, the appearance also pleasing to the eye.
I switched to the SmartMixin app.

works great and looks beautiful and is functional.

1 Like

I’ll 2nd (15th) that the new color is horrid and hard on the eyes. Please change back or give user customization.

1 Like

It’s in poor form to marginalize other folks issues with the color change. If they want to be hung up on it then that’s their choice. Speaking of innovative ideas, one of those should be choice. Choice to present your wx station page in Barney colors, or choice to present your wx station page in whatever color you want. The interesting thing about technology is you can have it both ways, however Weatherflow has decided that’s not up to you anymore.

I have a problem with the self righteous, self indignant comment of the post 1 day ago from @WFstaff “The new purple theme for Tempest is here to stay”. Fortunately some in the audience are OK jumping on board with giving up the choice and tolerating the inequality. As long as purple works for you, who cares what everybody else thinks.

If this is the business model going forward, this color change won’t be the only example of how your business treats it’s customers by taking way their choices. This won’t be the only area you decide to bully your preferences upon the customer base, and it wont be the last.

When the next best thing comes along that’s better than Weatherflow, I’ll be first in line to give them my money. Bye!

4 Likes

Wow, lots of negativity regarding the color. Choice is always nice but after getting used to it, I find the new color to be great. It doesn’t seem as glaringly bright and to my eyes has more contrast than the blue. I give it a thumbs up.

3 Likes

Really disappointed with the new app color scheme. The color is harder to read and see. The blue was so much better. Wish I had an option!

4 Likes

This color is very visually straining to have on the screeen regardless of the theme… Perhaps I am just getting old but all I see is a purple blurry mess. I can’t look at the tempest map or app any longer, I have resorted to using my linked weather underground to read my stats. or having alexa read them off…

If this is your new branding color I suspect the brand won’t last too long…

4 Likes

Purple??? This is a really awful choice. “Important for branding”??? How about asking your customers? Maybe a survey? I will put solid money that purple would be their LAST choice. I also bet that some highly overpaid consultant told the powers to choose PURPLE, because that is the color that will energize your customers. Amazing. There may be many useful new features in the app, but I can’t get past the color to enjoy any new features. So sad.

3 Likes

At last, my room is now 99% darker at night…Thank you WeatherFlow
I’ll just leave this here;

2 Likes

How do I turn off dark mode? The other day this came on and it’s too dark to read! Thank you!

@kelly You can adjust the theme in Settings. There is Light, Dark, and System (which matches what your device is set to).

Screenshot from 2022-07-14 06-37-55
I tried that but it remains “Dark” and “Extremely Dark”. I think something remains off in the color scheme. Thanks!

I’m in agreement this is new color is really difficult to see or read. They really need to change it back or give an option.

2 Likes

No, no, no! The ‘plum’ colour is truly terrible. I thought I’d somehow changed it by mistake and have reinstalled the app in the hope I could get the original colour back. PLEASE, give owners a choice of colour. Plum SUCKS!!!

2 Likes

The purple color does not sit well with me either

Please put it back and leave well enough alone or give owners the ability to set it back

The devil always finds work for idle hands

1 Like

Hi @storm_tracker ,

I totes agree with this sentiment. I work with and lead teams that build platforms, in another industry, that include APIs and mobile apps. We even have dipped into the HW world once in a while but left it because it’s extremely challenging compared to SW.

Branding decisions are tricky as well and often made based on future facing plans for the company all up, with the knowledge that the change has risk associated with it.

I appreciate how close the dev team/support team is to this forum and am pretty sure the feedback has been received. What to do when you hear feedback, from a vocal group of folks, that may be perpendicular to your plans is always tricky. If WF didn’t care about their user community this forum wouldn’t be here and they wouldn’t participate.

The purple took some getting used to but all up is mostly just different IMO. I like some of the other smaller tweaks to the UX better, small details in some rounding/etc… of corners that show they are paying attention.

Looking forward to future releases and playing more with the APIs especially.

Billy

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong (I’m the OP). I LOVE the features/functionality of my Tempest WX. I’m just saying that I have color sensitivity to purple that makes that new choice horrible to try to read.

They can make the box the device comes in purple, they can change the logo on the device to purple (please don’t change the color of the whole device to purple). They can paint their office purple, their cars, and their homes. That would not bother me at all (might bother the neighbors, though).

But when I can’t easily discern the shades of the UI, and don’t give me a way to change it to something I can discern, AND you say “This is the only UI color we’re going to do so get used to it” that I really start to wonder about whether they care if we’re happy as long as we buy their hardware.

I truly hope they give us another option. For now, I’ll be using WUnderground to view my data, not the UI itself.

Steve (OP)

1 Like

It would immediately go to a body shop to remove any vestige of :eggplant: or Barney. Seriously, I thought Dodge learned their lesson in early 70s!

1 Like