Rainfall verification

Looks like the WeatherFlow peeps “corrected” yesterday’s rainfall on my unit from 1.04 to .78” overnight. (I guess that’s what the raindrop w a check mark means…not stated anywhere in the docs)My brother in law is a meteorologist and checked the NOAA radar for rainfall at my location and that noted 1.06”. Very close!

Question is why would WeatherFlow have a correction that wasn’t near the NOAA actual?? Also WHY?

jeff@bamajacobs.com

Hi @jeff1, what you noticed was the RainCheck feature in action. You can read about that in a few different places:
Forums: Introducing RainCheck
Support help pages: Rain Check Software – WeatherFlow Support

Super awesome to hear your SKY’s raw data was very close to the NOAA actual rainfall! If you find that RainCheck isn’t working well for your location or if you’d like to just view your SKY’s raw data, you can disable the feature in the Smart Weather app: go to settings > stations > select your station > manage devices > select your SKY > advanced > disable RainCheck. :+1:

Yesterday, my Sky reported .79 inches. Rain check this morning has moved it wayyy up to 1.06. Over a quarter inch correction for one day is a lot. I haven’t checked yet the co-located manual Stratus gauge as the rain has continued this morning.

Hi Will~

What does this say about the accuracy of the RainCheck feature? Thought is that the NOAA radar verification would be more accurate??

Thanks for your prompt response.

Jeff

NOAA data verified

JPJ

RainCheck does use radar estimated rainfall as one of the precipitation inputs. Bear in mind RainCheck uses multiple precipitation inputs and may struggle in areas with terrain influences and where there can be pop-up thunderstorms that are short in duration and small in scale. May not be the case for your scenario the other day, but perhaps RainCheck may not be the best estimate for your particular location. Curious to see how it does over a few more rain events :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Will keep you all apprised!

Thanks again.

Jeff

Will keep you all apprised!

Thanks again.

Jeff

1 Like

Hi Will ~

I’m getting false rainfall readings on the lay three very sunny days. The Air unit is on an 8’ galvanized pole in the middle of a grass opening.

Any ideas??

Jeff

Guess you mean sky unit …

Correct. Any ideas??

JPJ

Either vibration or in case of high winds, sand or debris.

Thanks Gary.

I do live on an island. I’ll raise the device to 30’ (same as the Vantage Pro) and see what happens.

Cheers.

Jeff

1 Like