Rainfall accuracy this spring

Has anyone else seen an improvement in rainfall reported by the Tempest this spring? So far my Tempest and the CoCoRaHS rain gauge next to it have been within 0.02” of each other for the rainfall received this year. Curious based on that whether I’ve been lucky or if more general improvement is being seen.

This is after last year where the only thing I could reliably count on was them disagreeing. Reporting the CoCoRaHS measurements nearly every rainfall hadn’t seemed yield any noticeable improvement then, but maybe work over the winter has yielded positive results.

Yes I’m finally getting much better rain readings, after they have used my other station on weatherunderground to see how far tempest was off. Since I had my tempest since last mid June, it was always way off to the point I wanted to throw in the towel , but now I’m hoping with fingers crossed that tempest will stay in line from this point forward. If you see yours doing better I wonder if they somehow realized it was off and did some calibrations. Otherwise I would consider it luck to adjust without some kind of help on there end.

WF has stated that data submitted from many of us who have a CoCoRaHS or similar calibrated rain gauge not only helps our co-located calibration but also that of the whole network of Tempest/SKY stations. For such a complex problem as accurate haptic rain sensing given the multitude of mounting situations it is not easy and takes a vast amount of data. It is good to hear that it is helping.

3 Likes

I too have also noticed a vast improvement with my Tempest rain fall readings, especially in the last four to six weeks. The difference between my Tempest & Co CoRaHS gauge also has been within 0.02 & 0.03". Of course I have been submitting my Rain Report Accumulation Data Form after every rain event since my station went on line in mid December of 2020 Tempest . As Gizmoev stated above and I quote: “WF has stated that data submitted from many of us who have a CoCoRaHS or similar calibrated rain gauge not only helps our co-located calibration but also that of the whole network of Tempest/SKY stations”. I could not agree more!

1 Like