Rain calibration since firmware update v94

This was posted by @dsj back in April I believe:

In case you were wondering about rain intensity descriptive values on the DASHBOARD CARD VIEW of the app. These are specifically designed to give the average home user a simple and quick understanding of rain intensity. Actual values are published both on the rain graph and on the LIST VIEW in the apps.

VERY LIGHT: < 0.25 mm/hour
LIGHT: ≥ 0.25, < 1.0 mm/hour
MODERATE: ≥ 1.0, < 4.0 mm/hour
HEAVY: ≥ 4.0, < 16.0 mm/hour
VERY HEAVY: ≥ 16.0, < 50 mm/hour
EXTREME: > 50.0 mm/hour

weatherflow thinks that is better not to display the actual rain rate m(as they did before) to people that want to know the weather. I don’t agree, but they think it is too confusing.

1 Like

And

Holy $@#? Extreme > 200mm/hour

Also known as “Build an Ark”

3 Likes

actual values are not in the rain graph. not in graph in the web version and not in the graph in the app version. Only the cummulative values are shown.

@sunny Yeah, you’re right. I missed the update announcement in August. That’s where they explain their rationale behind removing the rates on the graphs. I kinda liked seeing the rates on the graph, too. Anyway, was just trying to provide the rain rate definitions to @ray.

I just posted an update to the topic of “rain rate presentation” over here: Change in graphing rain rate

3 Likes

Thank you for the information…

Except those bar graphs mean nothing unless the pointer is moved on top of the specific bar and the rain intensity word is displayed at the top.

As @sunny indicated, a continuous changing (in intensity) line to indicate the actual rain rate (as it has been displayed on my weather web pages for the past 12 years) is a better indicator of what is happening in real time than a vertical bar being created once in a while.

@dsj the proposed changes do not go far enough … as I have commented in the other thread. The bar graphs do not express the continuous changes or rates of the rain.

I’ve read through, but am not sure where we’re at with this? These shots are from right now, and my Sky is reading almost double the surrounding stations (EW2784 is my CWOP ID). I doubt that vibration issues exist to this extent unless it’s the wind-driven thing?

Capture

Capture2

1 Like

Thanks for your report. All SKY units in the field still have the same, default calibration applied with firmware the release of v94, which likely explains your SKY’s over-reporting. We are inching ever closer to the next step (applying custom calibrations to individual units) but we’re not quite there yet. We’ll announce when that happens.

1 Like

station 4664
rain last 24 hours WF 4.7mm rain gauge 5mm, very good

2 Likes

Hi @dsj,

I have just been watching my windsock and the Sky rocking around on my (vibration reduced) mount with the guy wires and flapping wind sock in gusty winds up to 28knots and the speeds appeared correct relative to the wind sock. There was no false rain. Then just as light spits of rain began falling the rain readings began correctly much quicker than any tipping bucket would detect because the drips were not even running down my window yet.

In the first 10 minutes of light large drops of rain the windows and concrete are just covered with a complete wetness but it is barely running off. Shiny tiles are completely wet. For that amount of wetness I guess half a mm might be correct. It would have made washing on the line wet. My plastic funnel gauges are still completely dry at the bottom because the rain hitting the sides is wet but isnt running down yet. And Sky has recorded 0.4mm. My opinion of these readings is that Sky performed very well and with quicker and finer sensitivity than possible with a tipping bucket. Great! I am satisfied.
Humidity is 65% with strong wind so is drying the drops fairly quickly from the windows and the sides of my plastic funnel gauge.
However I then discovered room for improvement…
Checking again at 2:20pm the plastic funnel gauges are drying off with nothing at the bottom, the concrete, tiles and windows are also almost dry again.
What is weird is that the Sky is now recording more rain and even heavier than when it was raining. From 2:22pm I struggle to feel or see any drops of rain.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately the very few rain events in my location are badly synchronized to my shedule.
But my first observations allow the following interpretation:

• Very light rain will be missed totally by the Sky.
  • as the drops have a not enough impulse, either caused by to little mass or to high air flow (so those incident angle is to small) the actuall Sky callibration filters those out.
  • rain drops with a middle mass and size are recorded quite well.

A detailed analytics to angels, incident speeds and drop masses would put in some values and evidence. :wink:
Is the correlation to wind speeds and temperature already under investigation by someone, or does this has been clarified?:thinking:

1 Like

A late report about rain on 11/14. It’s of note because it is the first time my WF station nailed it.

Cocorahs .79"
RW #1 .79"
RW #2 .77"
Weather Flow .80"

Unfortunately, an early winter has set in and snow will taint my tipping bucket and WF readings for the foreseeable future.

1 Like

I’m not on version 94 but I have the same issue, double the measured rainfall of anything near me, including another Smartweather unit.

Thanks for your patience. This will improve!

I noticed snow was not well received or counted by the SKY. But no rain gauge works for snow in my experience.

3 Likes

Correct. The SKY was not designed to measure snow.

2 Likes

Local wind turbulence may be the cause. Do you see pressure wave clouds. Alternatively are you in the lee of a hill or on the ridge with trees/building to windward. Either will lead to turbulence. From my “local” experience, this is a cause

Hi @dsj,
Station 4555, Hub version 102, Sky 43.
11:45am 28/11/2018.
My two plastic funnel gauges on each side of the house after several showers over the past 24hrs both read 13mm.
Sky reported 13.5mm WOW I am amazed again!
I only read my funnel gauges roughly and they have had 12 hours of evaporation so in my opinion could not be more accurate!!!

And for wind reference:

Amazing, well done, cheers Ian :slight_smile:

4 Likes

so are you @iladyman running new firmware for the rain calibration or is the firmware different in Australia I am still on V98 hub and and sky rev 20 here in states I do not see any posting for newer firmware under announcements threds