Radar Imagery Feed

Bump.

Radar would be nice.

Iā€™ll toss my desire in for radar. I just received a Tempest Weather Station for my birthday and absolutely love it. I understand these devices donā€™t have radar abilities built-in. However, there should be a way to do something like attaching an API key in the Tempest app to the NOAA radar website (for example). Then just have it overlay on the ā€˜Mapā€™ section in the Tempest app/website. Kind of like a toggle between Satellite view vs Street map view. Just a thought.

3 Likes

@zentsang WELCOME to the community of weather observers.
I love this idea and have thought about it in-depth.

There are 3 issues around the topic you raiseā€¦

1. You are over-simplifying a link to NOAA, that will never happen. Details are far and wide plus NOAA only covers the United States. There are other sources of composite radar for a fee.

2. You are way-over-simplifying how mapping backgrounds (tiles) work, the licensing for their use, and the algorithms required to crop the display to keep the weather station centered on that collection of tiles.

3. Privacy . . .
    I can, and will, elaborate on that if requested.

If you have a weather station that indicates you are curious about weather at a very specific location. General composite radar is otherwise very available and outside the scope of a ā€œweather stationā€.

Bump! This would be a great addition to the app.

1 Like

For the price of this weather station I would expect this functionality as most other weather apps have it already

3 Likes

Did you vote for this feature request?

@steve.palmieri
Just wondering what plan of attack you would recommend for getting some kind of radar feature on an otherwise awesome weather app.
(also bumping this topic)

Perhaps a tab to link our own favorite radar site.

@zoom.smith99
Thank you for the interest in the WeatherFlow ROKU application !!

Iā€™m actually working on the mapping feature now.

I have clearly changed my mind from my original post and thoughts.
I want a weather map included also :slight_smile: .

I will absolutely announce on this thread when weather mapping is available on the ROKU application.

It will take multiple releases getting progressively more ā€œfeature richā€.
The first release will be a static map centered on the userā€™s weather station and showing composite precipitation radar. The second release will include radar animation and a selection of other radar overlays.

I wonā€™t dive into vast array of developer challenges, that would be for the ā€œDeveloper Groupā€ but I will elaborate a little.

The challenge with a ROKU is: you are not dealing with a full-fledged computer.

Example: @clj7021 thank you for the input, that would be an initial thought, but itā€™s impossible on a ROKU because the device will not render webpages.

What I am building takes the user-request for a weather map and makes a call to a program waiting on a webserver that creates the custom map images and serves them back to the ROKU. This will get more complicated when animation is added and obviously needs to be multi-threaded to support more than one user at a time.

Progress summary

• I think I have a well-architected solution
  • I have the webserver to generate the images
  • I have the web-service to ingest weather radar overlays for the entire world
  • I have the ā€œmap tilesā€ web-service to generate the map background
  • I have begun coding with small victories so far . . . .
1 Like

Thank you. I understand this a gigantic undertaking. Your efforts are appreciated/

Keep the ideas coming, you never know. . . .

As future releases of the ROKU application are being planned, user feedback would be great.

I would be interested to know what new features users want and feedback about the User-Interface (menus and navigation).

Request for feedback

Thank you!!

Wouod love
To see the radar implemented into the tempest app

I just did vote but will add some text to the thread. I have a Pixel Fold and have attempted to integrate a radar map with Tempest data by opening side-by-side apps in the UNfolded mode, Tempest and Acuweather in a widgety type arrangement.

But true integration would be very, very nice.