Precip discrepancy when comparing REST results to WF/SM app

Hiya - looking at this station (mine):

https://swd.weatherflow.com/swd/rest/observations/station/3965?api_key=[blat]

I get…

` {"station_id":3965,"station_name":"Kings Mountain","public_name":"Kings Mountain","latitude":37.44728,"longitude":-122.33502,"timezone":"America/Los_Angeles","elevation":617.2095947265625,"is_public":true,"status":{"status_code":0,"status_message":"SUCCESS"},"station_units":{"units_temp":"f","units_wind":"mph","units_precip":"in","units_pressure":"inhg","units_distance":"mi","units_direction":"cardinal","units_other":"imperial"},"outdoor_keys":["timestamp","air_temperature","barometric_pressure","station_pressure","sea_level_pressure","relative_humidity","precip","precip_accum_last_1hr","precip_accum_local_day","precip_accum_local_yesterday_final","precip_minutes_local_day","precip_minutes_local_yesterday_final","wind_avg","wind_direction","wind_gust","wind_lull","solar_radiation","uv","brightness","lightning_strike_last_epoch","lightning_strike_last_distance","lightning_strike_count","lightning_strike_count_last_3hr","feels_like","heat_index","wind_chill","dew_point","wet_bulb_temperature","delta_t","air_density"],"obs":[{"timestamp":1584201699,"air_temperature":5.5,"barometric_pressure":942.4,"station_pressure":942.4,"sea_level_pressure":1014.9,"relative_humidity":99,"precip":0.008037,"precip_accum_last_1hr":0.784551,"precip_accum_local_day":0.918645,"precip_accum_local_yesterday":0.005842,"precip_accum_local_yesterday_final":0.0,"precip_minutes_local_day":38,"precip_minutes_local_yesterday":1,"precip_minutes_local_yesterday_final":0,"precip_analysis_type_yesterday":1,"wind_avg":4.0,"wind_direction":217,"wind_gust":4.7,"wind_lull":3.3,"solar_radiation":31,"uv":0.16,"brightness":3734,"lightning_strike_last_epoch":1579230839,"lightning_strike_last_distance":10,"lightning_strike_count":0,"lightning_strike_count_last_3hr":0,"feels_like":2.5,"heat_index":5.5,"wind_chill":2.5,"dew_point":5.4,"wet_bulb_temperature":5.4,"delta_t":0.1,"air_density":1.17817}]}`

When looking at both the SW app and the REST result, I do not see the same numbers for precip_accum_local_day where REST is showing 0.92" and SmartWeather is showing 0.04". How do I interpret the value coming back from the REST call, and why is it different than SW?

One guess is that REST is returning in mm instead of inches as that would get the two numbers to match (with rounding), but then why does the pre-amble of the observation in the REST response indicate that units_precip is “in”?

Your guess is correct - the REST response is returning the rain accumulation in mm rather than in inches. You can see the units that the REST API uses here: Tempest API (just click “Expand Operations” to the right off “observations: Get observations for a Smart Weather Device”).

The pre-amble indicates the precip unit is inches as that is what you have selected for your station. I agree it is confusing to see it in a REST Observation response. I have suggested to WF before that the user choice of units should be moved to a REST Station response.

1 Like

Ahhhh. Ok. Can’t say it “makes sense”, but I certainly understand. Thx for the confirmation.

All data is captured, transmitted and stored in metric values. It is converted to preferred units at display.