Please consider adding % cloud coverage or similar

Some context.
I use a “current weather icon” in my dashboard to depict what is outside now. So something like “rain possible” or “rain likely” is more of a forecast in my view vs. current conditions. Further, I like to differentiate between clear, partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, and cloudy. Today, I do that by augmenting the current icon provided by the api with some additional logic using the dark-sky api and % cloud cover along with other factors. As an aside, I also do this with participation differentiating between, light, moderate, heavy, thunderstorms, etc.

As dark sky is about to be no more, was hoping to be able to move exclusively to the weather flow api to accomplish my goals. Of course it doesn’t have to be cloud coverage, there are many ways to do the same thing. I have considered using the available LUX and Solar Radiation, but the level of difficulty goes up pretty drastically with sun angle, etc.

And of course, would welcome advice from others with thoughts on how to do this with the existing data.

Charles

there is kind of cloud coverage, as depicted by the icon. But it mostly based a the forecast data. Except when there is for example a thunderstorm, it which case it will change, based on the measurements. So it is unclear if at any point in time it is forecast or measurement. There is however no direct measurement of cloud coverage. So the only thing that is available is the forecast data.

If you are in the US near an airport, you can get current sky conditions from this API:
https://www.weather.gov/documentation/services-web-api#/default/station_observation_latest

I live near KCEU. https://api.weather.gov/stations/kceu/observations/latest
Here is an excerpt showing it is overcast with a cloud layer at 1980 meters (6500 feet):
“cloudLayers”: [
{
“base”: {
“unitCode”: “wmoUnit:m”,
“value”: 1980
},
“amount”: “OVC”

You can find an explanation of what you might see here: This is how you read a METAR.

This is perfect, thank you. I am familiar with METAR from my flying days but never even considered to look for an available api.

Just a follow up in case any one else is looking to fine-tune current conditions.
I was able to get the weather.gov api to work. It worked fine, but at least the particular station that is near me is very very slow to update conditions. So not particularly useful.

I am now using the openweathermap api to get the information I need, with the added benefit that I can get weather alerts as well. So far their information is very good and timely. Darksky was always best in my location for accurate data and they have everything you could want for a reasonable price. Accuweather api doesn’t have a reasonable price point. It is either free at 50 calls/day or $25/month for way more than I need.