PiConsole Screen Saver no longer working

I have two piconsoles. Both of them no longer have the screen blanking after a set time.

Previously, this worked with the following line in lightdm.conf

xserver-command=X -s 240 -dpms

After four hours the screen with go blank as expected.

Not sure what changed.

PI Info: (Both the same)
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4

Is there anything I can provide or try to remedy this?

Confused. What does piconsole have to do with a Xwindows windows manager setting ?

I donā€™t understand your question.

Are you confused about lightdm, piconsole, a setting in lightdm.conf to enable the screen saver or the fact that is stopped working a month ago?

How can I explain better?

You havenā€™t described your setup at all, but you seem to be asking a ā€œhow do I make Xwindows workā€ in a forum that has nothing to do with Xwindows.

Weā€™ll, thatā€™s not the case but OK. Maybe someone else can help, I appreciate you chiming in, but maybe this one you can skip?

Setup:

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
Kernel: 6.1.13-v8+ #1632 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 23 12:26:19 GMT 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Tempest Version: v22.12.3
Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
DE: Light Display Manager 1.26.0

Touchscreen:
Raspberry Pi 7" Touch Screen Display

Soā€¦
Does anyone else have screen saving working, because about a month ago, it stopped working on the PIConsole. My PIConsole touchscreen now ignores any sleep or screen saver settings.

What @vinceskahan is trying to say is that the issues you are facing are very unlikely to be caused by the PiConsole, and rather are likely related to some change/update that has been made to your Raspberry Pi itself (probably through an update). I have no knowledge of xserver commands so you might want to ask elsewhere for help

Yes I got the point. That back and forth with him was painful.

I was more looking for someone to say ā€œYes, I am also experiencing thatā€.

But yes, Iā€™ve tested without piconsole running with the same outcome.

For any poor soul with this issue:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=323281&sid=321dd4adb5767af2b253f734138c8c8c&start=1025

2 Likes

We love you too. Thank you so much. Itā€™s unfortunate you are so sensitive.

I was suggesting you should ask in the appropriate site for such questions. PiConsole doesnā€™t even ā€˜useā€™ Xwindows so what you described ā€˜hadā€™ to be unrelated and an os issue that you should ask in an os forum (not here).

The WF forums canā€™t be expected to duplicate 20+ years of the entire Internet. Google it for heavenā€™s sake.

Consider taking your original question and rewording it just slightlyā€¦

I have two cars. Both of them no longer have bluetooth working.
Previously, this worked by pressing the button on the display.
Not sure what changed.

Car info: Toyota Corolla (Both the same)
Model year 2020

Is there anything I can provide or try to remedy this?

Now in that case would you really expect somebody here to say anything other than ā€˜you might want to ask on a Toyota users siteā€™ ???

Cā€™mon man.

1 Like

youā€™re great Vince. Thanks for being great

My Piconsoleā€™s screen no longer goes to sleep after 5 minutes either after running pi updates as well as the latest piconsole update this morning. I am unconcerned.
Jim

Hello, Jim, and welcome to the thread.

Are you running bullseye on your Pi ?

I am and what worked for me was downgrading xorg-server-core by doing the following:

See all available versions

apt list -a xserver-xorg-core

Listingā€¦ Done
xserver-xorg-core/stable 2:1.20.11-1+rpt1+deb11u5 arm64 [upgradable from: 2:1.20.11-1+deb11u5]
xserver-xorg-core/stable-security,now 2:1.20.11-1+deb11u5 arm64 [installed,upgradable to: 2:1.20.11-1+rpt1+deb11u5]
xserver-xorg-core/stable 2:1.20.11-1+deb11u3 arm64
xserver-xorg-core/stable 2:1.20.11-1+rpt1+deb11u5 armhf
xserver-xorg-core/stable-security 2:1.20.11-1+deb11u5 armhf
xserver-xorg-core/stable 2:1.20.11-1+deb11u3 armhf

Install previous version

apt install xserver-xorg-core=2:1.20.11-1+deb11u5
Reading package listsā€¦ Done
Building dependency treeā€¦ Done
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
xserver-xorg-core is already the newest version (2:1.20.11-1+deb11u5).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Avoid upgrades for the time being (already done for me)

apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core

Thanks so much for this ā€¦ after the last update - which forced me to rebuild from scratch both of my Rpi wfpiconsole systems, I lost the ability to blank the screen at night.

I had a cron task switch between day & night - allowing me to make dark the screen while no one was awake to see it.

Followed your instructions, and ALL is back to the way it was.

Edit: It would be a nice feature for Peter to add within the ā€˜Settingsā€™ to have screen active/blanking schedule.

Glad to help.

I hope otherā€™s in this thread take this interaction as a lesson in the future. Itā€™s OK to help each outside of the boundaries of PiConsole since everything interacts together in some way.

Glad it worked for you !