Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

Again, the PBA does not come with a hub. The hub is what connects the Tempest sensor (and any other sensors) to the WeatherFlow servers. The PBA comes with a connecting ‘puck’ and the battery compartment which includes the electronics of the PBA. The reason I keep bringing this up is that the term ‘hub’ has a very specific meaning in terms of the Tempest Weather station. Using hub for something that is not the hub just creates confusion.

I’m all good… Thank you for your knowledge.

Best,
John Wagner

Finally got my permanent mount up. 3ft j-mount with a 6ft/18 gauge mast pole inserted into it. I wanted a thicker pole but was having a hard time finding one. I am mostly happy with it.
It’s the best placement I can get. I’m not good with heights so I can’t get on my house roof, plus, I’m just leery about putting holes over my living space. I have to many trees around to put it in my yard or along the fence line. Where it is it has clear sky above.
It sits 15ft from my house, 24ft from the ground, 7ft above the roof it’s on, and about 1/2ft in from a E to W line extended from my house which sits almost exactly N to S. I know it will affect my wind reading from the NE to E but I should get a decent reading overall. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Glad to have joined the group.

4 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

Hello, :wave: I’m new here. I just installed my tempest station today, I used schedule 80 pvc conduit. It’s still kind of flimsy, thinking of putting something inside to make it more rigid.

3 Likes

I use a telescoping fiberglass flag pole on my RV for my mobile Tempest. It is more flimsy than your Sch 80 PVC pipe. If I were you, I wouldn’t worry about it. Being flexible might make the Tempest less sensitive movement in your RV.

1 Like

So I’ve finally managed to erect my first Tempest on a stainless steel pole attached to a balcony clamp after a month of having it screwed into the patio table out of reach of wind. Unfortunately as my balcony is north facing AND I live in cloudy/rainy London, United Kingdom, the solar panels get absolutely zero direct sunlight, so the station only lasted 3 weeks before falling into Power Saver Mode 3.

Luckily the PBA I received this week fully recharged the Tempest and it’s now permanently installed with batteries in a waterproof box at the bottom of the pole. I’m already seeing much more lively wind readings now that it’s up even higher off the ground (30m!).

Check out the station page here. I’ve reset all data since the location has changed quite considerably. Time for a fresh start!

10 Likes

Lovely! Great view. . .and Great location for a Tempest device.

9 Likes

Wonder if he would just ignore the bird spikes.

The smaller birds by mine do. They like the protection of the spikes. :angry:

We need a ‘Defensive Mode’ :crazy_face: :zap: :exploding_head:

3 Likes

@btst.online I do have a Lightning Probability I’ve been working on…so…kinda a ‘Defensive Mode’. I only use inputs from the Tempest (other than time and location). There are a few things that do make a impact on lightning that we don’t have access to from the Tempest, but we do have a far amount of info to help predict. I can send you what I have for now; it is not fully implemented but it is a start.

@glenngoddard
I was joking about having all the bird spike electrified… to defend against ‘squatters’.

:smiley:

2 Likes

Happy Friday! :ok_hand:t2::love_you_gesture:t2:

Replaced pipe with a 10 ft. 6 in. 17-Gauge Galvanized Top Rail feels much more steadier then the EMT I was using. Also did some much needed cleaning maintenance to the Tempest. Added some duck tape on the end we’re you screw the tempest in so it gets more grip. Overall very happy.

8 Likes

Happy Presidents’ Day! I love my Tempest! :ok_hand:t2:

6 Likes

Hope your neighbors are jealous. . .'cause they don’t have one!

Newly redone Tempest setup added a 16 foot 4 by 4 and is in the ground 4 1/2 feet. Also added some cross bars which with cement will add to really keep from any sway. Waiting for cement to dry to add Cocorahs gauge back on tomorrow. Really happy with way everything came out.

7 Likes

I just moved my Tempest to a lower pole to reduce the number of false rain readings I’ve been getting in high winds. It’s currently on a 4 foot galvanized steel fence post attached to a beam on the house. I’m a little worried about the heat from the house giving false temperature readings, but we’ll see. Such a beautiful day!

8 Likes